Buchanan, David (1779–1848)
Buchanan was born in Montrose, the eldest son of David Buchanan, the renowned printer, publisher and amateur literary scholar. Unlike his father, David the younger did not attend university, but entered the family business. Primarily interested in economics, geography and statistics, Buchanan is generally regarded as a journalist and writer, but also as a ‘Scottish economist’ (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 1935, iii. 27). Buchanan’s career amply justifies all of these claims.
- Anderson, W. 1863. The Scottish nation. Edinburgh: A. Fullarton.Google Scholar
- Buchanan, David. 1886. Dictionary of national biography, vol. VII. London: Smith, Elder & Co.Google Scholar
- Buchanan, David. 1935. Encyclopedia of the social sciences, vol. III. New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Buchanan, David. 1894. In Dictionary of political economy, vol. I, ed. R.H. Inglis Palgrave. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Houghton, W.E. (ed.). 1966. Wellesley index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824–1900. Toronto: Toronto University Press.Google Scholar