Economics, Definition of
Economics is difficult to define unambiguously, many definitions having been proposed as the subject has evolved. Definitions are ex post constructions, even rationalizations, but they can nonetheless influence what economist do and how they set about doing it. This article considers the main definitions from the late 18th century to the present, pointing out some of the ways in which changing views reflect and have influenced changes in the subject.
KeywordsCameralism Economic science Economics imperialism Economics, definition of Institutional design Marshall, As Mill, J. S Operations research Political economy Rational choice Robbins, L. C Samuelson, P. A Scarcity Steuart, Sir J Value judgements
- Backhouse, R.E., and, S.G. Medema. 2007. Defining economics: Robbins’s definition in theory and practice. SSRN working paper. Abstract online. Available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=969994. Accessed 19 May 2007.
- Keynes, J.N. 1891. The scope and method of political economy. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lipsey, R.G. 1963. An introduction to positive economics, 3rd ed. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1971.Google Scholar
- Marshall, A. 1890. Principles of economics. London: Macmillan, 1949.Google Scholar
- Mill, J.S. 1844. Essays on some unsettled questions of political economy. In Collected works of John Stuart Mill, ed. J.M. Robson. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1967.Google Scholar
- Robbins, L.C. 1932. An essay on the nature and significance of economic science, 2nd ed. London: Macmillan, 1935.Google Scholar
- Samuelson, P.A. 1948. Economics. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Samuelson, P.A. 1967. Economics, 7th ed. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Say, J.-B. 1803. Traité d’économie politique, ou simple exposition de la manière dont se forment, se distribuent et se consomment les richesses. Paris: Deterville.Google Scholar
- Senior, N. 1836. An outline of the science of political economy. New York: Augustus Kelley, 1965.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. 1776. An inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations, 2 vols. Indianapolis: Liberty Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- Steuart, J. 1767. An inquiry into the principles of political oeconomy, 2 vols. Edinburgh: Oliver & Boyd, 1966.Google Scholar
- Stigler, G.J. 1946. The theory of price. New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar