Schumpeter, Joseph Alois (1883–1950)
This article on Joseph Alois Schumpeter depicts him as a visionary and as one of the greatest figures in the history of economics. Both his life and his work are described and discussed. His life has not been without disaster and turmoil, and his work on methodology, economic development, innovation, capitalism, socialism and democracy not without originality, antagonism and independence. Above all, his major work on the history of economics is a lasting monument for all students of the emergence and ups and downs of new ideas in a major field of social analysis.
KeywordsBusiness cycles Capitalism Cournot, A.A. Creative destruction Credit Democracy, economic theory of Diffusion of technology Dynamic efficiency Econometric Society Economic development Endogeneity and exogeneity Endogenous growth Entrepreneurship Innovation Inventions Juglar cycles Keynes, J.M. Kitchin cycles Kondratieff cycles Markets Marshall, A. Methodological individualism Money Monopoly Oligopoly Patents Perfect competition Public choice Ricardo, D. Schumpeter, J.A. Static efficiency Structural change Technical change Walras, L.
- Aghion, P., and P. Howitt. 1998. Endogenous growth theory. London: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Allen, R.L. 1991. Opening doors: The life and work of Joseph Schumpeter. London: Transaction.Google Scholar
- Arena, R., and P.-M. Romani. 2002. Schumpeter on entrepreneurship. In The contribution of Joseph Schumpeter to economics, ed. R. Arena and C. Dangel- Hagnauer. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bös, D., and W. Stolper, eds. 1984. Schumpeter oder Keynes. Berlin: Springe-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Frisch, H., ed. 1982. Schumpeterian economics. New York: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Harris, S.E., ed. 1951. Schumpeter, social scientist. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Heertje, A., ed. 1981. Schumpeter’s vision. New York: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Heertje, A. 2006. Schumpeter on the economics of innovation and the development of capitalism. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Hennipman, P. 1995. Welfare economics and the theory of economic policy, ed. D.A. Walker and J. van den Doel. Aldershot: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Kirzner, I.M. 1986. Discovery and the capitalist process. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Shionoya, Y. 1995. Schumpeter and the idea of social science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Stolper, W.F. 1994. Joseph Alois Schumpeter: The public life of a private man. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Swedberg, R. 1991. J.A. Schumpeter, his life and work. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar