Whewell, William (1799–1866)
Whewell was born in Lancaster and died in Cambridge. He received his early education at Lancaster Grammar School and Heversham School, Westmoreland, and in 1812 he went up to Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1817 he became a Fellow of the college, in 1823 a tutor. In 1841 he was made Master, an appointment which he held until his death.
KeywordsFixed capital Mathematical economics Mathematical method in political economy Production price Whewell, W.
- Bortkiewicz, L. 1907. Wertrechnung und Preisrechnung im Marxschen System. In Archiv für Sozialwissenschaft und Sozialpolitik, vol. 25. The second and the third parts are translated into English as ‘Value and price in the Marxian system’. International Economic Papers No. 2: 5–60 (1952).Google Scholar
- Dmitriev, V.K. 1904. In Economic essays on value, competition and utility, ed. D.M. Nuti. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- Jevons, W.S. 1871. The theory of political economy. London/New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Ricardo, D. 1821. In On the principles of political economy and taxation, ed. P. Sraffa. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1951.Google Scholar
- Schumpeter, J.A. 1954. History of economic analysis. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Walras, L. 1875. Une branche nouvelle de la mathématique: de l’application des mathématiques à l’économie politique. Italian Trans. as ‘Un nuovo ramo della matematica. Dell’applicazione della matematiche alla economia politica’. Giornale degli Economisti 3 (1876).Google Scholar