Advertisement

Latvia

Latvijas Republika (Republic of Latvia)
Reference work entry

Factsheet

  • Capital: Riga

  • Population estimate, 2015: 1.97 m.

  • GNI per capita, 2014: (PPP$) 22,281

  • HDI/world rank, 2014: 0.819/46

  • Internet domain extension: .lv

Civil Aviation

There is an international airport at Riga. A new national carrier, airBaltic, assumed control of Latavio and Baltic International Airlines in Aug. 1995 and began flying in Oct. 1995. It went on to become eastern Europe’s first low-cost airline; in 2012 it carried 3.08 m. passengers and operated scheduled services to 55 destinations. It is 99.8% state-owned, with Transaero owning the remaining 0.2%. In 2010 Riga handled 4,663,692 passengers and 12,247 tonnes of freight.

Climate

Owing to the influence of maritime factors, the climate is relatively temperate but changeable. Average temperatures in Jan. range from −2.8 °C in the western coastal town of Liepāja to −6.6 °C in the inland town of Daugavpils. The average summer temperature is 20 °C.

Constitution and Government

The Declaration of the Renewal of the...

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Limited 2019

Personalised recommendations