Kingstown, St Vincent and the Grenadines
The capital and chief port of St Vincent and the Grenadines, Kingstown is the country’s main trade centre. It is located on the southwest coast of St Vincent island.
Kingstown was founded in 1722 by French settlers.
The man-made deepwater harbour handles the island’s overseas trade. Agriculture is the primary industry alongside fishing and tourism. Main exports include bananas and arrowroot.
There is a small international airport at Arnos Vale with flights to neighbouring islands in the Caribbean.
Places of Interest
The city is home to the West Indies’ oldest botanical gardens, dating from 1763. Fort Charlotte, built by the British in 1806, stands 600 ft. above the bay, to the west of the city.