Geneva is situated near the French border in southwestern Switzerland at a confluence of Lake Geneva and the River Rhône. The city is home to over 200 international organisations.
Settlement in the area dates back to 3000 BC. The town was seized from its original Celtic inhabitants by the Romans in 58 BC, and was referred to as Genua by Julius Caesar. At this stage it was used as a military camp for Roman soldiers on their way into Gaul, but by AD 400 it had become a bishopric. The city was subject to frequent invasion by Germanic and Burgundian tribes, but was eventually incorporated into the Burgundian kingdom, serving as its capital from 443–534. Throughout the early feudal period Geneva was an important hub for regional commerce and was ruled by the Genevese counts until their line died out at the beginning of the fifteenth century. The Dukes of Savoy then governed the city and its environs until 1533 when they were overthrown by a citizen’s revolt. Savoy...