Open Distance Learning
The term open distance learning, or open and distance learning (ODL), is contested and combines two different concepts which are often related both in theory and in practice. This entry will review the potential differences between “open” and “distance” learning and how the terms have been used. It will then examine the changing applications of ODL, the ways in which it is intended to increase inclusion and social justice, and the issues relating to its application. The advent of e-learning and its incorporation within the term “open, distance, and e-learning” (ODeL) in the twenty-first century leads to a brief review of ODL in relation to the most recent developments in open educational resources (OER) and massive open online courses (MOOCs).
Open distance learning (ODL) combines aspects of two separate concepts, “open learning” and “distance learning,” and these are also sometimes...
- Commonwealth of Learning. (2015). Open and distance learning: Key terms and definitions. Retrieved from https://www.col.org/resources/open-and-distance-learning-key-terms-and-definitions.
- Gaskell, A. (2007). Open learning. In G. McCulloch & D. Crook (Eds.), International encyclopaedia of education. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency). (2011–2012). Table T3e – Non-continuation two years following year of entry: UK domiciled part-time first degree entrants 2011/12. Retrieved from https://www.hesa.ac.uk/pis/noncon.
- NCES (National Center for Education Statistics). (2015). Fast facts: Distance learning. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=80.
- Peters, O. (1998). Learning and teaching in distance education: Pedagogical analyses and interpretations in an international perspective. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2002a). Open and distance learning: Trends, policy and strategy considerations. Paris: UNESCO. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001284/128463e.pdf.
- UNESCO. (2002b). Open educational resources: Open content for higher education. Retrieved from : http://www.unesco.org/iiep/virtualuniversity/media/forum/oer_forum_final_report.pdf
- UNESCO. (2015). Open and distance learning. Retrieved from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/themes/icts/lifelong-learning/open-and-distance-learning/.