Philosophical Inquiry in Education
Philosophy has been highly important throughout the history of Western education. It was clearly present during the period of Classical Greece, led by the sophists, but also by Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. It regained its importance throughout the Middle Ages, most especially with the rise of the European renaissance – starting around 1000 A.D. – in schools and universities. Philosophy continued and was maintained, at least in some countries, with the implementation of obligatory formal education.
Over recent decades, we have found ourselves in an apparently contradictory situation. On the one hand, there is a notable awareness of the decreasing importance of the humanities, among which many people (mistakenly, in my opinion) include philosophy. The damage done to education by this abandonment of the humanities in general – and...
- Biesta, G. J. J. (2013). The beautiful risk of education. Boulder/London: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- García Moriyón, F. (2013). Metaphors of the teaching of philosophy. Childhood & Philosophy, Rio de Janeiro, 8(18), 345–361. Retrieved from http://www.periodicos.proped.pro.br/index.php/childhood/article/view/1383/1201
- Lipman, M., Sharp, A. M., & Oscanyan, F. S. (1980). Philosophy in the classroom. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Nelson, L. (1922). Die Sokratische method. English version. Retrieved from http://www.friesian.com/method.htm
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2010). Not for profit: Why democracy needs the humanities. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Rondhuis, T. (2005). Philosophical talent: Empirical investigations into philosophical features of adolescents’ discourse. Rotterdam: Veenman Drukkers.Google Scholar
- Tozzi, M. (1994). Penser par soi – même. Initiation à la philosophie. Bruxelles: Vie Ouvriére et Chronique Sociale.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2005). Report by the director-general on an intersectorial strategy on philosophy. Paris: UNESCO. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/001386/138673e.pdf