Liberal Arts Education in Europe, A Student’s View of
The author of this entry studied Liberal Arts in the Studium Individuale program at Leuphana University of Lüneburg and is currently a graduate student of Political Philosophy at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. He was coinitiator and organizer of the first European Liberal Education Student Conference (LESC) which was held in Lüneburg in May 2016, bringing together students from more than 20 Liberal Arts programs in Europe for a personal, academic, and philosophical exchange and for the joint answering to What is Liberal Education – and what could it be?
A Liberal Arts Education or Liberal Arts and Sciences Education is a modus and method of or to a Liberal Education (LE). In European higher education, Liberal Arts Education is a recently established format of undergraduate education. Having its origin in models of LE from the United States, European Liberal Arts Education (ELAE) is, inter alia, dedicated to reviving the educational philosophy and culture of the
KeywordsLifelong Learning Educational Philosophy Liberal Education Political Liberalism Reflective Thought
- Aristotle, & Jowett, B. (1885). The politics of Aristotle. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Bologna Working Group on Qualifications Frameworks. (2005). A framework for qualifications of the European Higher Education Area. Bologna Process Secretariat. http://media.ehea.info/file/WG_Frameworks_qualification/71/0/050218_QF_EHEA_580710.pdf. Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
- Dirksen, J., & Tubbs, N. (Eds.). (2017). The Journal of Educational Philosophy and Theory (LESC Special Issue, forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Dirksen, J., Kontowski, D., & Kretz, D. (Eds.). (2017). What is liberal education and what could it be? European students on their liberal arts education (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- European Colleges of Liberal Arts and Sciences. (2017). What is liberal arts and sciences. http://www.ecolas.eu/eng/?page_id=15. Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
- Ministerial Conference Yerevan. (2015). The Bologna Process revisited, the future of the European Higher Education Area. Bologna Process Secretariat. http://media.ehea.info/file/2015_Yerevan/71/1/Bologna_Process_Revisited_Future_of_the_EHEA_Final_613711.pdf. Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
- Schütrumpf, E. (Ed.). (1991). Aristoteles Politik. Buch I (pp. 71–102). Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Wallace, D. F. (2005). This is water. Transcript of the 2005 Kenyon College Commencement Address. http://metastatic.org/text/This%20is%20Water.pdf. Accessed 25 Mar 2017.