Aging and Mental Health in a Longitudinal Study of Elderly Costa Ricans
Geriatric depression and cognition impairment, including memory loss, are common neuropsychiatric disorders at old age. Diagnosing these conditions in the context of a general population-based survey conducted by nonmental health specialists is challenging. The effect of aging on an individual’s mental health is not always mirrored in the prevalence of mental disorders of the population by age. Changes over time and across cohorts, as well as survival selection, affect the comparison of individuals at different ages. Longitudinal studies that follow the same individuals over time allow a better assessment of the effect of age on mental health. The Costa Rican Longevity and Healthy Aging Study (CRELES) includes a panel of elderly people that provides a rare opportunity of...
KeywordsMental Health Mental Health Condition Depression Symptom Differential Mortality Survival Selection
- Rosero-Bixby, L., Fernández, X., & Dow, W. H. (2010). Creles: Costa Rican longevity and health aging study, 2005 (Costa Rica Estudio De Longevidad Y Envejecimiento Saludable): Sampling and methods No. Icpsr26681-V2). Ann Arbor: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/NACDA/studies/26681/documentation
- Sheikh, J. L., & Yesavage, J. A. (1986). Geriatric depression scale (Gds): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clinical gerontology: A guide to assessment and intervention. New York: The Haworth Press.Google Scholar
- Wachter, K. W. (2014). Essential demographic methods. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2004). The global burden of disease–2004 update. WHO. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GBD_report_2004update_full.pdf
- Yasamy, M. T., Dua, T., Harper, M., & Saxena, S. (2013). Mental health of older adults, addressing a growing concern. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mental_health/world-mental-health-day/WHO_paper_wmhd_2013.pdf