Mood and Cognition in Aging Women
Empty nest – post-parenting period occurring after all children have left the family home.
Mental health – an umbrella term encompassing emotional and cognitive health.
Follicle-stimulating hormones (FSH) – a hormone essential to pubertal development menstrual cycle and fertility.
Estradiol – the primary female sex hormone.
Final menstrual period (FMP) – the last menstrual period signifying the onset of postmenopause.
“Disability-adjusted life years” (DALYs) – represent the number of years lost due to illness, disability, or early death.
Women’s Mental Health
Women have a disproportionally high representation of cognitive and mental health disorders. Two-thirds of those with dementia are women (Alzheimer’s Association 2014), with more women than...
KeywordsDepressive Symptom Mood Disorder White Matter Volume Menopausal Transition Reproductive Aging
- Alzheimer's Association. (2014). Alzheimer’s disease facts and figures. Includes a special report on women and Alzheimer’s disease. Chicago: Alzheimer Association.Google Scholar
- Alzheimer’s Disease International. (2015). World Alzheimer report 2015: The global impact of Dementia. London: Alzheimer’s Disease International.Google Scholar
- Carayanni, V., Stylianopoulou, C., Koulierakis, G., Babatsikou, F., & Koutis, C. (2012). Sex differences in depression among older adults: Are older women more vulnerable than men in social risk factors? The case of open care centers for older people in Greece. European Journal of Ageing, 9(2), 177–186.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Diniz, B. S., Butters, M. A., Albert, S. M., Dew, M. A., & Reynolds, C. F., 3rd. (2013). Late-life depression and risk of vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s disease: Systematic review and meta-analysis of community-based cohort studies. British Journal of Psychiatry, 202(5), 329–335.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Erol, R., Brooker, D., & Peel, E. (2015). Women and dementia: A global research review. London: Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI).Google Scholar
- Harlow, S. D., Gass, M., Hall, J. E., Lobo, R., Maki, P., Rebar, R. W.,…de Villiers, T. J. (2012). Executive summary of the Stages of Reproductive Aging Workshop + 10: Addressing the unfinished agenda of staging reproductive aging. Climacteric, 15(2), 105–114.Google Scholar
- Hodis, H. N., & Mack, W. J. (2014). Hormone replacement therapy and the association with coronary heart disease and overall mortality: Clinical application of the timing hypothesis. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 142, 68–75. doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2013.06.011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lemaitre, H., Goldman, A. L., Sambataro, F., Verchinski, B. A., Meyer-Lindenberg, A., Weinberger, D. R., & Mattay, V. S. (2012). Normal age-related brain morphometric changes: Nonuniformity across cortical thickness, surface area and gray matter volume? Neurobiology of Aging, 33(3), 617.e611–617.e619.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lopez, A. D., & Mathers, C. D. (2006). Measuring the global burden of disease and epidemiological transitions: 2002–2030. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, 100(5–6), 5–6.Google Scholar
- Mojtabai, R. (2015). Depressed mood in middle-aged and older adults in Europe and the United States: A comparative study using anchoring vignettes. Journal of Aging and Health, 27(7), 1–23.Google Scholar
- Simon, M., Chen, R., & Dong, X. (2014). Gender differences in perceived social support in US Chinese older adults. Journal of Gerontological and Geriatric Research, 3(4), 163–172.Google Scholar
- Then, F. S., Luck, T., Luppa, M., Thinschmidt, M., Deckert, S., Nieuwenhuijsen, K.,…Riedel-Heller, S. G. (2014). Systematic review of the effect of the psychosocial working environment on cognition and dementia. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 71(5), 358–365. doi:10.1136/oemed-2013-101760.Google Scholar
- Whiteford, H. A., Degenhardt, L., Rehm, J., Baxter, A. J., Ferrari, A. J., Erskine, H. E.,…Johns, N. (2013). Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: Findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. The Lancet, 382(9904), 1575–1586.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2011). Global Health and Ageing. Bethesda: National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, and World Health Organization.Google Scholar