Teaching Democratic Norms and Values with Analogue Games
This entry offers an introduction to the use and usefulness of analogue games to teach democratic norms and values. Understanding the different meanings and values of democracy provides – especially young – citizens with the necessary tool kit to make sense of their role as democratic citizens. After all, democracies need democrats. Games and game elements lend themselves especially well to teach democratic norms and values – due to the affinity of game mechanics to modelling human interactions (like cooperation and conflict) as well as their ability to convey highly complex and morally charged topics in an engaging way.
The first section of this entry provides a short introduction on democracy education, especially highlighting the recently developed transnational “Reference Framework of Competences for Democracy Culture” from the Council of Europe, which offers a systematic approach to teach topics like human rights, democracy, and the rule of law (Council of Europe 2018...
- Biesta, G. J. J. (2010). Good education in an age of measurement: Ethics, politics, democracy. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe. (2018). Reference framework of competences for democratic culture. Volume I: Context, concepts and model. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.Google Scholar
- Kapp, K. M. (2012). The gamification of learning and instruction. Game-based methods and strategies for training and education. San Francisco: Pfeiffer.Google Scholar
- Kolb, D. A. (2015). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Laver, M. (1997). Playing politics. The nightmare continues. Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Ruth-Lovell, Saskia, Rebecca Welge, & Robert Lovell. (2019). Demokratie und Spiele: Let’s Play Demokratiebarometer, print & play Materialien, Demokrative – Initiative für Politische Bildung. https://demokrative.ch/index.php/de-de/projekte/db-spiele.
List of Card and Board Games
- Beaujannot, G., & Rivollet, A. (designer). (2013). Concept. Repos Production.Google Scholar
- Davidoff, D., & Plotkin, A. (designer). (1986). Mafia/Are you a Werewolf? Public Domain.Google Scholar
- Hersch, B. (designer). (1989). Tabu. Parker Brothers and Hasbro.Google Scholar
- Hostettler, U. (designer). (1998). Anno domini. Fata Morgana Spiele.Google Scholar
- Laver, M. (designer). (1997). Playing politics. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Leonhard, C., & Matthews, J. (designers). (2010). Founding fathers. Jolly Roger Games.Google Scholar