Equity in Higher Education
- Lindsey Malcom-PiqueuxAffiliated withCenter for Urban Education, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California Email author
- , Jason RobinsonAffiliated withCenter for Urban Education, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California
- , Estela Mara BensimonAffiliated withCenter for Urban Education, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California
The term equity in higher education has a critical dimension and an accountability dimension.
From a critical perspective, equity in higher education is the recognition that institutional racism (and sexism) is an entrenched characteristic of colleges and universities that has to be dismantled with strategies that are color conscious (Appiah and Gutmann 1998), informed by critical race theory (Bonilla-Silva 2014; Crenshaw 1995; Delgado and Stefanic 2001), and systemic.
From an accountability perspective, equity in higher education is the attainment of proportional representation of historically marginalized groups in terms of access, retention, degree completion, and participation in enriching programs, experiences, and activities that build students’ academic and cultural capital.
Equity refers to the concept of moral fairness. A common objective of social and economic policy, the term “equity” is often used to describe the fair d ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
Date: 2016 (Latest)History
- 2016 (Latest)
- Equity in Higher Education
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions
- pp 1-7
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Education, Seoul National University
- 2. CIPES, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Center for Urban Education, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California, 3470 Trousdale Parkway, Waite Phillips Hall, 702, 90089, Los Angeles, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.