Community Partnerships, Higher Education
Collective community ownership and responsibility that is built through collaborations among key stakeholder groups.
Universities as Anchor Institutions: US Case Study
Globally, institutions of higher education are increasingly becoming more engaged and active participants in revitalizing their respective communities. The Talloires Network is an international coalition of 250 university members in 62 countries – representing a total of six million students (Holden 2012). The secretariat for the Talloires Network is based at Tufts University in the United States, a country where trends continue to show a rise of involvement among these institutions in strengthening local communities. The dynamics that have given rise to deepening the local engagement of universities are universal. An understanding of how institutions...
- Bartley, Aaron. 2014. The rise of the anchor institution: Setting standards for success. The Blog, “Business”. HuffPost. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-bartley/the-rise-of-the-anchor-in_b_4589224.html. Accessed 5 Jan 2017.
- Cantor, Nancy. 2016. Anchor institutions and urban inequality. Rutgers University-Newark, Global Urban Futures Conference Speech. http://newark.rutgers.edu/files/global-urban-future-conference-april-2016-ncantor.pdf.
- Carlson, Scott. 2013. Portland State U. Ties its fortunes to those of its Quirky City. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/article/Portland-State-U-Ties-Its/142881/. Accessed 11 Jan 2017.
- Chan, Sewell. 2007. When the Gown Devours the Town. City Room Blog: The New York Times. https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/when-the-gown-devours-the-town/?_r=0. Accessed 27 Dec 2016.Google Scholar
- Democracy Collaborative. 2014. Policies for community wealth building: Leveraging state and local resources. The democracy collaborative. http://democracycollaborative.org/sites/clone.communitywealth.org/files/downloads/PoliciesForCommunityWealthBuilding-September2014-final.pdf. Accessed 11 Jan 2017.
- Ehlenz, Meagan M., and Eugénie L. Birch. 2014. The power of Eds & Meds: Urban Universities investing in neighborhood revitalization & innovation districts. Philadelphia: Penn Institute for Urban Research, University of Pennsylvania. http://penniur.upenn.edu/uploads/media/Anchor-Institutions-PRAI-2014.pdf. Accessed 27 Dec 2016.Google Scholar
- Feldman, Alex. 2014. More collaboration is better and other secrets of a successful Town-Gown relationship. Next City. https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/universities-community-successful-town-gown-relationships. Accessed 11 Jan 2017.
- Harkavy, Ira, Matthew Hartley, Rita A. Hodges, Anthony Sorrentino, and Joann Weeks. 2014. “Effective governance of a University as an Anchor Institution: University of Pennsylvania as a Case Study.” D 1-3. In Supplemental volume 2014-02, leadership and governance in higher education: Handbook for decision-makers and administrators. Berlin: Raabe Academic Publishers. https://www.nettercenter.upenn.edu/sites/netter_internal/files/Effective_Governance_of_a_University_as_an_Anchor_Institution-Raabe_Publishers.pdf.Google Scholar
- Hodges, R.A., and S. Dubb. 2012. The road half traveled: University engagement at a crossroads. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press. 237pp.Google Scholar
- Holden, Elisabeth. 2012. Anchor institutions and community revitalization: International dimensions of anchor institutions. Tufts University Blog. http://sites.tufts.edu/anchorinstitutions/. Accessed 18 Mar 2017.
- HUD, Office of University Partnerships. 2013. Building resiliency: The role of anchor institutions in sustaining community economic development. A report for HUD. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. http://www.huduser.org/portal/publications/pdf/AnchorInstitutions.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- OUCP, Office of University-Community Partnerships. 2013. Community engagement at Rutgers-Newark: Building community together. Rutgers University – Newark. http://oucp.newark.rutgers.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Rutgers_Partners_Book_v19_09.06.13_SINGLES.pdf.
- RBS, Rutgers Business School. 2017. About CUEED. Rutgers Business School, Newark and New Brunswick. http://www.business.rutgers.edu/cueed/about. Accessed 2 June 2017.
- Ross, Mike. 2013. Seeding University Communities. The Boston Globe. https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/12/23/seeding-universityneighborhoods/y6qK9dzVXoen3gIkZEoljP/story.html#. Accessed 27 Dec 2016.
- Rutgers. 2017. Where opportunity meets excellence: Strategic Plan 2014, Spring 2017 Update. Rutgers University – Newark. http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/ru-n_strategic_plan_update_spring_2017_w-appendices.pdf.
- Smith, Sandy. 2014. University-Community engagement is a two-way street. Next City. http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/university-community-engagement-eds-meds-anchors-cities. Accessed 27 Dec 2016.