Higher Education Research, UK
Higher education and research in the UK:
UK research into higher education institutions and processes in their social and organizational contexts, in order to enhance policy and practice and to contribute to relevant social science theory in the field.
Higher education research in the UK has expanded significantly over recent decades, although there has been a fragmentation of the field or research area. In a sense, it is a research field without a shared core, with researchers entering the field from different academic and professional backgrounds and engaging with higher education from a variety of positions and interests.
Much of higher education research in the UK is policy-led, reflecting agendas set by national policy bodies and their needs for supportive evidence for those agendas. There is also a...
- Becher, T. 1989. Academic tribes and territories: Intellectual enquiry and the cultures of disciplines. 1st ed. Milton Keynes: SRHE and Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Becher, T., and M. Kogan. 1980. Process and structure in higher education. London: Heinemann Educational Books.Google Scholar
- Becher, T., and M. Kogan. 1992. Process and structure in higher education. 2nd ed. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Becher, T., and P. Trowler. 2001. Academic tribes and territories: Intellectual enquiry and the cultures of disciplines. 2nd ed. Buckingham: Society for Research into Higher Education and Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Committee on Higher Education (The Robbins Report). 1963. Higher education: A report Cmnd 2154. London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- Higher Education Academy. 2014. Providing evidence, building solutions: An overview of HEA research 2012–2014. Heslington: Higher Education Academy.Google Scholar
- Kogan, M., and S. Hanney. 2000. Reforming higher education. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Savage, M. 2016. A tale of two campuses: Universities and meritocracy. In Social class in the 21 st century, ed. M. Savage et al. London: Pelican/Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Shattock, M. 2015. The Society for Research in higher education and the changing world of British higher education a study of SRHE over its first 25 years. London: SRHE.Google Scholar