Preparative Thin Layer Chromatography of (Phospho) Lipids
Thin-layer chromatography (TLC) and its refined version high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC) are indispensable tools of modern analytical chemistry (Hahn-Deinstrop 2006). Besides its traditional applications in natural product chemistry analysis and isolation, TLC is also widely used in the field of lipids (Touchstone 1995), phospholipids (Fuchs et al. 2011), and particularly glycolipids (Müthing 1996). All these fields have been comprehensively reviewed and, thus, not so many details will be provided here due to the limited space.
TLC uses always a completely new stationary...
KeywordsLipid Class Lyme Disease Steryl Ester Separation Quality Fatty Acyl Residue
- Bobbitt JM, Kirchner JG. Thin layer chromatography. Literary Licensing, LLC; Whitefish 2013; ISBN-10: 1258806150; ISBN-13: 978-1258806156Google Scholar
- Eibisch M, Zellmer S, Gebhardt R, Süss R, Fuchs B, Schiller J. Phosphatidylcholine dimers can be easily misinterpreted as cardiolipins in complex lipid mixtures: a matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometric study of lipids from hepatocytes. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2011a;25:2619–26.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs B, Schiller J, Süss R, Schürenberg M, Suckau D. A direct and simple method of coupling matrix-assisted laser desorption and ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) to thin-layer chromatography (TLC) for the analysis of phospholipids from egg yolk. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007;389:827–34.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hashimoto M, Kirikae F, Dohi T, Adachi S, Kusumoto S, Suda Y, Fujita T, Naoki H, Kirikae T. Structural study on lipid A and the O-specific polysaccharide of the lipopolysaccharide from a clinical isolate of Bacteroides vulgatus from a patient with Crohn’s disease. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3715–21.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hostettmann K, Marston A, Hostettmann M. Preparative chromatography techniques applications in natural product isolation. 2nd ed. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 1998.Google Scholar
- Iriko H, Nakamura K, Kojima H, Iida-Tanaka N, Kasama T, Kawakami Y, Ishizuka I, Uchida A, Murata Y, Tamai Y. Chemical structures and immunolocalization of glycosphingolipids isolated from Diphyllobothrium hottai adult worms and plerocercoids. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3549–59.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu QT, Kinderlerer JL. Preparative thin-layer chromatographic separation and subsequent gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of monoacylglycerols derived from butter oil by fungal degradation. J Chromatogr A. 1999;855:617–6124.Google Scholar
- Miwa H, Yamamoto M, Futata T, Kan K, Asano T. Thin-layer chromatography and high-performance liquid chromatography for the assay of fatty acid compositions of individual phospholipids in platelets from non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients: effect of eicosapentaenoic acid ethyl ester administration. J Chromatogr B. 1996;677:217–23.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Montealegre C, Verardo V, Gómez-Caravaca AM, García-Ruiz C, Marina ML, Caboni MF. Molecular characterization of phospholipids by high-performance liquid chromatography combined with an evaporative light scattering detector, high-performance liquid chromatography combined with mass spectrometry, and gas chromatography combined with a flame ionization detector in different oat varieties. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:10963–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pannkuk EL, Risch TS, Savary BJ. Profiling the triacylglyceride contents in bat integumentary lipids by preparative thin layer chromatography and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. J Vis Exp. 2013;79.Google Scholar
- Stahl E. Dünnschicht-Chromatographie – Ein Laboratoriums-Handbuch. Berlin: Springer; 1967.Google Scholar