Thin-Layer Chromatography/Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Mass Spectrometry of Lipids
Liquid chromatography (especially high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)) and planar chromatography (in particular thin-layer (TLC) or more recent high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC)) are indispensable tools of modern analytical chemistry (Hahn-Deinstrop 2006).
TLC is a very robust separation technique and is affected to a much lesser extent than HPLC by impurities that are potentially present in crude lipid extracts.
TLC uses always a completely new stationary phase. Therefore, there are no “memory” effects in contrast to HPLC. HPLC columns are much more expensive and are, thus,...
KeywordsLipid Species MALDI Mass Spectrum MALDI Mass Spectrometric Fatty Acyl Residue Crude Lipid Extract
- Batubara A, Carolan VA, Loadman PM, Sutton C, Shnyder SD, Clench MR. Thin-layer chromatography/matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation mass spectrometry and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation mass spectrometry imaging for the analysis of phospholipids in LS174T colorectal adenocarcinoma xenografts treated with the vascular disrupting agent DMXAA.Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2015;29:1288–96.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dreisewerd K, Müthing J, Rohlfing A, Meisen I, Vukelić Z, Peter-Katalinić J, Hillenkamp F, Berkenkamp S. Analysis of gangliosides directly from thin-layer chromatography plates by infrared matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization orthogonal time-of-flight mass spectrometry with a glycerol matrix. Anal Chem. 2005;77:4098–107.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs B, Schiller J, Süss R, Schürenberg M, Suckau D. A direct and simple method of coupling matrix-assisted laser desorption and ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) to thin-layer chromatography (TLC) for the analysis of phospholipids from egg yolk. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007;389:827–34.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs B, Schiller J, Süß R, Nimptsch A, Schürenberg A, Suckau D. Capabilities and disadvantages of combined matrix-assisted laser-desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) and high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC): analysis of egg yolk lipids. JPC J Planar Chromatogr. 2009b;22:35–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guerrera IC, Astarita G, Jais JP, Sands D, Nowakowska A, Colas J, Sermet-Gaudelus I, Schuerenberg M, Piomelli D, Edelman A, Ollero M. A novel lipidomic strategy reveals plasma phospholipid signatures associated with respiratory disease severity in cystic fibrosis patients. PLoS ONE. 2009;4, e7735.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hillenkamp F, Peter-Katalinić J. MALDI MS – a practical guide to instrumentation, methods and application. 1st ed. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH; 2007.Google Scholar
- Nakamura K, Suzuki Y, Goto-Inoue N, Yoshida-Noro C, Suzuki A. Structural characterization of neutral glycosphingolipids by thin-layer chromatography coupled to matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization quadrupole ion trap time-of-flight MS/MS. Anal Chem. 2006;78:5736–43.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Petković M, Schiller J, Müller M, Benard S, Reichl S, Arnold K, Arnhold J. Detection of individual phospholipids in lipid mixtures by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry: phosphatidylcholine prevents the detection of further species. Anal Biochem. 2001;289:202–16.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ruh H, Sandhoff R, Meyer B, Gretz N, Hopf C. Quantitative characterization of tissue globotetraosylceramides in a rat model of polycystic kidney disease by PrimaDrop sample preparation and indirect high-performance thin layer chromatography-matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time-of-flight-mass spectrometry with automated data acquisition. Anal Chem. 2013;85:6233–40.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sherma J, Morlock G. Chronology of thin-layer chromatography focusing on instrumental progress. JPC: J Planar Chromatogr. 2008;21:471–7.Google Scholar
- Souady J, Soltwisch J, Dreisewerd K, Haier J, Peter-Katalinić J, Müthing J. Structural profiling of individual glycosphingolipids in a single thin-layer chromatogram by multiple sequential immunodetection matched with Direct IR-MALDI-o-TOF mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2009;81:9481–92.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stübiger G, Pittenauer E, Belgacem O, Rehulka P, Widhalm K, Allmaier G. Analysis of human plasma lipids and soybean lecithin by means of high-performance thin-layer chromatography and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2009;23:2711–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sun G, Yang K, Zhao Z, Guan S, Han X, Gross RW. Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometric analysis of cellular glycerophospholipids enabled by multiplexed solvent dependent analyte-matrix interactions. Anal Chem. 2008;80:7576–85.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar