Uranium–Lead, Extraterrestrial, Early Solar System
The science of relating events that transformed a cloud of interstellar gas to our solar system to time, by means of using decay of uranium isotopes 238U and 235U to lead isotopes 206Pb and 207Pb.
Stars and their planetary systems form by gravitational collapse of dense parts in large interstellar molecular clouds. It is thought that, about 4.57 billion years ago, our solar system formed by a similar process. The early history of our solar system cannot be observed directly, but it is recorded in the very early minerals and rocks that were removed from the ongoing process of accretion before formation of the planets, and thus escaped geological reworking. These primitive rocks are preserved in several non-planetary environments – in asteroids that experienced only moderate heating, in comets – and as interplanetary dust particles floating in space. The asteroids that were extensively melted are thought to be the sources of...
KeywordsSolar System Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry Parent Body Protoplanetary Disk Ordinary Chondrite
- Amelin, Y., Sapah, M. S., Cooke, I., Stirling, C. H., Kaltenbach, A., 2013. U-Th-Pb systematics of CAIs from CV chondrite Northwest Africa 4502. 44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Abstract # 2690.Google Scholar
- Podosek, F. A., and Swindle, T. D., 1988. Extinct radionuclides. In Kerridge, J. F., and Matthew, M. S. (eds.), Meteorites and the Early Solar System. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, pp. 1093–1113.Google Scholar
- Tilton, G. R., 1988. Age of the solar system. In Kerridge, J. F., and Matthew, M. S. (eds.), Meteorites and the Early Solar System. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, pp. 259–275.Google Scholar
- Wadhwa, M., Amelin, Y., Bogdanovski, O., Shukolyukov, A., Lugmair, G. W., and Janney, P., 2009. Ancient relative and absolute ages for a basaltic meteorite: implications for timescales of planetesimals accretion and differentiation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 73, 5189–5201.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, Q., Herd, C. D. K., Yin, Q.-Z., Li, X.-H., Wu, F.-Y., Li, Q.-L., Liu, Y., Tang, G.-Q., and McCoy, T. J., 2013. Geochronology of the Martian meteorite Zagami revealed by U–Pb ion probe dating of accessory minerals. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2013.05.035i