Sediments, Terrestrial (Paleomagnetism)
Geomagnetic north/south poles: the points where the axis of the geocentric magnetic dipole that best fits the geomagnetic field intersects the surface of the earth. The south (north) pole of the best fitting dipole is actually in the northern (southern) hemisphere during Normal polarity, and is, by convention, called the north (south) geomagnetic pole.
Virtual geomagnetic poles (VGP’s): the geomagnetic poles corresponding to the geocentric dipole that would produce an observed palaeomagnetic direction. VGP’s are calculated from the declination and inclination of a paleomagnetic measurement and the latitude and longitude of the site from which the measurement was obtained.
Magnetostratigraphy: the application of the well-known principles of stratigraphy to the observed reversal pattern of the geomagnetic polarity recorded in rock sequences.
Paleosecular variation: the gradual changes in direction and intensity of...
KeywordsSecular Variation Magnetic Mineral Terrestrial Sediment Virtual Geomagnetic Pole Spherical Harmonic Analysis
- Abdul Aziz, H., Hilgen, F., Krijgsman, W., Sanz, E., and Calvo, J. P., 2000. Astronomical forcing of sedimentary cycles in the middle to late Miocene continental Calatayud Basin (NE Spain), Earth Planet. Science Letters, 177, 9–22.Google Scholar
- Jackson, M., Bowles, J. A., Lascu, I., and Sølheid, P., 2010. Deconvolution of u channel magnetometer data: experimental study of accuracy, resolution, and stability of different inversion methods. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 11, Q07Y10, doi:10.1029/2009GC002991.Google Scholar
- Opdyke, N. D., and Channell, J. E. T., 1996. Magnetic Stratigraphy. San Diego: Academic Press, p. 346.Google Scholar
- Roberts, A. P., Chang, L., Rowan, C. J., Horng, C.-S., and Florindo, F., 2011. Magnetic properties of sedimentary greigite (Fe3S4): an update. Reviews of Geophysics, 49(1).Google Scholar
- Tauxe, L., 2010. Essentials of Paleomagnetism. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Thébault, E., Schott, J. J., and Mandea, M., 2006. Revised spherical cap harmonic analysis (R-SCHA): validation and properties. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111, B01102, doi:10.1029/2005JB003836.Google Scholar
- Zijderveld, J. D. A., 1967. Demagnetisation of rocks: analysis of results. In Collinson, D., Creer, K., and Runcorn, S. (eds.), Methods in Paleomagnetism. New York: Elsevier, pp. 254–286.Google Scholar