Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis
Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) is an analytical methodology which facilitates the direct and real-time visualization and characterization of nanomaterials sized between 10 and 1,500 nm in liquid suspension.
The aim of this entry is to address the need to characterize different properties of particles in the nanoscale, explain the principles of operation of Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis, explore the concentrations and size ranges measurable, look at other parameters characterized by Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) as well as functions and applications of the technique.
The use of nanoscale materials is widespread throughout many different industries. Whether this is in pigments for the paint industry, or viruses used in the development and manufacture of vaccines, materials in this size range play a large part in the effectiveness and constancy of many products and processes. As differences in not only the size and concentration,...
KeywordsBrownian Motion Zeta Potential Liquid Suspension Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis Relative Refractive Index
- 1.Carr, B., Hole, P., Malloy, A., Nelson, P., Wright, M., Smith, J.: Applications of nanoparticle tracking analysis in nanoparticle research – a mini review. Eur. J. Parenter. Pharm. Sci. 14(2), 45–50 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Filipe, V., Hawe, A., Jiskoot, W.: Critical evaluation of nanoparticle tracking analysis (NTA) by nanosight for the measurement of nanoparticles and protein aggregates. Pharm. Res. (2010). doi:10.1007/s11095-010-0073-2Google Scholar
- 4.Du, S., Kendall, K., Morris, S., Sweet, C.: Measuring number-concentrations of nanoparticles and viruses in liquids on-line. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. (2010). doi:10.1002/jctb.2459Google Scholar
- 5.Bohren, C., Huffman, D.: Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles. Wiley, New York (1983)Google Scholar
- 6.Harrison, P., Dragovic, R., Albanyan, A., Lawrie, A., Murphy, MF and Sargent, I.: Application of dynamic light scattering to the measurement of microparticles. In: 55th Annual Meeting of the Scientific and Standardization Committee of the ISTH, The XXII Congress of The International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Boston, 11–18 July 2009 (in press)Google Scholar