Engineering Design, Assessing Practices of
Numerous documents produced by national sets of experts offer similar definitions of engineering practices. The National Academy of Engineering report, Standards for K-12 Engineering Education? (NAE 2010), surveyed standards documents in engineering, technology, science, and mathematics to identify common engineering concepts and skills. The National Assessment Governing Board supported development of the Technology and Engineering Literacy (TEL) Framework for the 2014 National Assessment of Educational Progress. The National Research Council of the National Academies has published the Framework for K-12 Science Education, which, along with a draft Next Generation Science Standards, integrates engineering ideas and practices with those in science (NRC 2012; Achieve 2012). Definitions of engineering practices can be culled from these frameworks and standards developed by engineering and science organizations, as...
KeywordsEngineering Design Engineering Practice System Thinking Assessment Task Summative Assessment
- Achieve (2012) Next generation science standards. Available at: http://www.nextgenscience.org/nnext-generation-science-standards
- Mislevy RJ, Almond RG, Lukas JF (2003) A brief introduction to evidence-centered design. Educational Testing Service, PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- National Academy of Engineering (2010) Standards for K-12 engineering education? The National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB) (2008) Technology and engineering literacy framework for the 2014 national assessment of educational progress. National Assessment Governing Board, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- National Research Council (NRC) (2011) A framework for K-12 science education: practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas. The National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar