Mining in the Congo
On July 6, 2013, a public relations representative for Banro Corporation – a Canadian gold mining company whose current projects, as of 2014, lie along the Twangiza-Namoya gold belt in the South Kivu and Maniema provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo – met and discussed relations between the firm and local elders of Luwinda, a city 59 km north of Bukavu. Like many mining companies in the Congo, Banro Corporation gained gold concession in the DRC when Laurent Kabila, a rebel fighting to overthrow the Mobutu government, marched toward Kinshasa in 1996–1997, spurring the First Congo War. When Mobutu fled to Morocco on May 17, 2007, Laurent Kabila became the third president of the DRC and promptly decided to renegotiate all contracts signed while a rebel leader. As a result, Banro Corp. lost their contract and took the government of the Congo to court in New York. Banro Corp. won the suit and, through negotiation with the new government of the Congo under Laurent Kabila’s son,...
KeywordsDemocratic Republic Mining Company Informal Economy Mining Sector Armed Group
- Braeckman, C. (2004). The looting of Congo. New Internationalist Magazine, 367, Ottawa, Canada.Google Scholar
- Harvey, D. (2000). Spaces of hope. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Hobsbawn, E. (1989). The age of empire: 1875–1914 (First Vintage Books ed.).Google Scholar
- Hochschild, A. (1998). King Leopold’s Ghost: a story of greed, terror, and heroism in Colonial Africa. Houghton Miflin, Harcourt, Chicago-USA.Google Scholar
- Jackson, S. (2007). Of doubtful nationality: Political manipulation of citizenship in the D.R. Congo, in Citizenship Studies. Routledge, London-UK.Google Scholar
- Kennes, E. (2000). Le Secteur Minier au Congo: ‘deconnexion’ et descente aux Enfers. In F. Reyntjens, S. Marysse (Ed.), Annuaire des Grands Lacs 1999–2000. Paris-Karthala. It can also be found at http://www.gralac.org.
- Marysse S. (2013). working paper, DRC Economic Forum.Google Scholar
- Marysse, S. et Andre, C. (2001). Guerre et pillage economique en Republique Democratique du Congo. In L’Afrique des Grands Lacs (Ed.), Annuaire 2000–2001. Paris: Harmattan.Google Scholar
- Weber, M. (1968). Political Community and State. In R. Guenter & W. Class (Eds.), Economy and society. New York: Bedminster Press.Google Scholar
- Wrong, M. (2000). In the footsteps of Mr. Kutz: living on the brink of disaster in Congo. London: Fourth State.Google Scholar
- Young, C. (1971). Introduction a la politique Congolaise. Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo: Editions Universitaire.Google Scholar