Nīlakaṇṭha Somayāji (ca. 1444–1545), son of Jātavedan, was a leading astronomer from Kerala. Being the author of a number of treatises on astronomy, like the Golasāra, the Grahaṇanirṇaya, the Siddhāntadarpaṇa, the Chandrachhāyāgaṇita, the Jyotirmīmāṃsa, and the Sundararājapraśnottara, he is best known for the Tantrasaṅgraha and the Āryabhaṭīyabhāṣya, his commentary on the Āryabhaṭīya.
Born at Tṛkkaṇṭiyūr in the Malappuram district of southern Malabar, Nīlakaṇṭha Somayāji studied under the great Vaṭaśśeri Parameśvaran, who propounded the dṛggaṇitasystem of astronomy. He was also a student of Parameśvaran’s son and disciple, Dāmodaran. As with most Indian astronomers, we know precious little about his life. We learn that he was married to Āryā and had two sons, Rāman and Dakṣiṇāmūrtti, and that the Taṃprākkaḷ of Āḻvāñcēri, the prominent Naṃpūtiri brāhmaṇa family of southern Malabar, patronized him. Nīlakaṇṭha Somayāji belonged to an illustrious pedigree of astronomers and...
KeywordsNineteenth Century Solar System Unify Model Equilateral Triangle Adjacent Segment
- Bose, D. M., Sen, S. N., & Subbarayappa, B. V. (Eds.). (2009). A concise history of science in India (2nd ed.). Hyderabad, India: Universities Press.Google Scholar
- Joseph, G. G. (2009). A passage to infinity: Medieval Indian mathematics from Kerala and its impact. New Delhi, India: Sage.Google Scholar
- Pingree, D. (1976). Gārgyakerala Nīlakaṅṭha Somayājin. In D. Pingree (Ed.), Census of the exact sciences in Sanskrit (Vol. 3, pp. 175–177; Vol. 4, p. 142). Philadelphia, PA: American Philosophical Society.Google Scholar
- Sarma, K. V. (1956–1957). Gārgya-Kerala Nīlakaṅṭha Somayājin: The Bhāśyakāra of the Āryabhaṭīya. Journal of Oriental Research, 26(1–4), 24–39.Google Scholar
- Sarma, K. V. (Ed.). (1970). Golasāra. Hoshiarpur, India: Vishveshvaranand Institute.Google Scholar
- Sarma, K. V. (Ed.). (1976). Siddhāntadarpaṇa. Hoshiarpur, India: Vishveshvaranand Institute.Google Scholar
- Sarma, K. V. (Ed.). (1977a). Tantrasaṅgraha. Hoshiarpur, India: Vishveshvaranand Institute.Google Scholar
- Sarma, K. V. (Ed.). (1977b). Jyotirmīmāṃsā. Hoshiarpur, India: Vishveshvaranand Institute.Google Scholar