Business Contribution to Human Development from the Capabilities Approach Standpoint
- Domingo García-MarzáAffiliated withFilosofía y Sociología, University Jaume I of Castellón Email author
The necessary business contribution to human development is analyzed from the capabilities approach standpoint. The important, but rarely acknowledged, role of business ethics in development theories is explained, a role that can help us understand companies as institutional actors that must be accountable for their actions and aware of their responsibility for development.
The capabilities approach, in this case from an institutional level, is proposed for this role of the company as an agent of (in)justice, using a reformulation of Kant's principle of publicity applied to the company.
KeywordsCivil society Moral resources Business responsibility Agents of justice Trust Transparency Capabilities approach Sen Principle of publicity Kant Ethics and institutional design
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Business Contribution to Human Development from the Capabilities Approach Standpoint
- Reference Work Title
- Handbook of the Philosophical Foundations of Business Ethics
- pp 719-729
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Civil society
- Moral resources
- Business responsibility
- Agents of justice
- Capabilities approach
- Principle of publicity
- Ethics and institutional design
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.