Intergovernmental Panel for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
The Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) was established in 2012, as an independent intergovernmental body open to all member countries of the United Nations. It has been developed as the leading intergovernmental body for assessing the state of biodiversity, including its ecosystems and the ecosystem services that provide benefits to people. The structure and purpose of IPBES are described and the work program introduced, including the conceptual framework that has been developed.
KeywordsEcosystem services Biodiversity Intergovernmental agreement
- Díaz S, Demissew S, Joly C, Lonsdale W, Ash N, et al. The IPBES Conceptual Framework - connecting nature and people. Curr Opin Environ Sustain. 2015b;14:1–16.Google Scholar
- Gilbert N. “Life on Earth” project gets under way. Nature. 2014;455. doi: 10.1038/510455a PMID: 24965631.Google Scholar
- Hoareau L, Arico S. The intergovernmental science-policy on biodiversity and ecosystem services: capacity-building related considerations from a UNESCO perspective. Asian Biotechnol Dev Rev. 2010;12:1–15.Google Scholar
- IPBES. Summary for policymakers of the assessment report of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services on pollinators, pollination and food production. Potts SG, Imperatriz-Fonseca VL, Ngo HT, Biesmeijer JC, Breeze TD, Dicks LV, Garibaldi LA, Hill R, Settele J, Vanbergen AJ, Aizen MA, Cunningham SA, Eardley C, Freitas BM, Gallai N, Kevan PG, Kovacs-Hostyanszki A, Kwapong PK, Li J, Li X, Martins DJ, Nates-Parra G, Pettis JS, Rader R, Viana BF, editors. Bonn: Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services; 2016a. 36 pp.Google Scholar
- IPBES. Summary for policymakers of the methodological assessment of scenarios and models of biodiversity and ecosystem services of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services. Ferrier S, Ninan KN, Leadley P, Alkemade R, Acosta LA, Akçakaya HR, Brotons L, Cheung W, Christensen V, Harhash KH, Kabubo-Mariara J, Lundquist C, Obersteiner M, Pereira H, Peterson G, Pichs-Madruga R, Ravindranath NH, Rondinini C, Wintle B, editors. Bonn: Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services; 2016b. 32 pp.Google Scholar