A geomorphologically-based typology of ten estuary types is described. The estuary types are: fjord, fjard, ria, coastal plain, bar-built, barrier beach, linear shore, embayment and delta.
KeywordsEstuary Fjord Fjard Ria Delta Bar-built Coastal plain Embayment Barrier beach
- Agardy T, Alder J. Coastal systems. In: Ecosystems and human well-being: current state and trends, Millennium ecosystem assessment, vol. 1. Washington, DC: Island Press; 2005.Google Scholar
- Davidson NC, Laffoley D’A, Doody JP, Way LS, Gordon J, Key R, Drake CM, Pienkowski MW, Mitchell RM, Duff KL. Nature conservation and estuaries in Great Britain. Peterborough: Nature Conservancy Council; 1991. 422ppGoogle Scholar
- Day JH. Estuarine ecology. Rotterdam: AA Balkema; 1981.Google Scholar
- Fairbridge R. The estuary: its definition and geodynamic cycle. In: Olausson E, Cato I, editors. Chemistry and biochemistry of estuaries. New York: Wiley; 1980.Google Scholar
- NERC. Estuaries research. Natural Environment Research Council publications series, vol. 9. UK: Natural Environment Research Council; 1975.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V., part of Springer Nature 2018