The concept of No Net Loss relates to the principle under which counties, agencies, and governments strive to balance unavoidable habitat, environmental and resource losses, with replacement of those items on a project-by-project basis so that further reductions to resources may be prevented. No Net Loss is a bold and attractive proposition, which is gaining traction in addressing wetland and other environmental management challenges globally. However, its practical implementation is fraught with difficulties and the potential for derailment by vested interests. More robust and operationally applicable methods are required to assess the diversity of functions and socially valuable services provided by wetlands if their net contributions to society are to be fully assessed and factored into decision-making about the avoidance, mitigation, or compensation of wetland loss.
KeywordsNo net loss Natura 2000 Environmental Liability Partnership Biodiversity loss EU Biodiversity strategy Swampbuster Avoid-mitigate-compensate
- Dahl TE, Allord GJ. Technical aspects of wetlands: history of wetlands in the conterminous United States. U.S. Geological Survey. 1997. [online] http://water.usgs.gov/nwsum/WSP2425/history.html. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- EU. A roadmap to a resource efficient Europe. 2011. [online] http://ec.europa.eu/environment/resource_efficiency/about/roadmap/index_en.htm. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- EU. EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020 – towards implementation. 2012. [online] http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/comm2006/2020.htm. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- EU. No Net Loss. 2014a. [online] www.ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/nnl/index_en.htm. Accessed 05 Aug 2014.
- EU. Halting biodiversity loss – the EU no net loss initiative. 2014b. [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-645_en.htm. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- Hansen, L. Wetlands status and trends. Agricultural Resources and Environmental Indicators US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. 2006.Google Scholar
- LCRA. HB 1437 Program FAQs. n.d. [online] http://www.lcra.org/water/water-supply/Pages/hb-1437-faqs.aspx. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- Sibbing JM. Nowhere near no net loss. National Wildlife Federation. n.d. [online] http://www.nwf.org/pdf/Wildlife/Nowhere_Near_No-Net-Loss.pdf. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.
- White House Office on Environmental Policy. Protecting America’s wetlands: a fair, flexible, and effective approach (24th August 1993). 1993. [online] http://www.wetlands.com/fed/aug93wet.htm. Accessed 5 Aug 2014.