Multibeam Mapping; Multibeam Sonar Mapping
Swathe mapping. A technology used for the detailed 3D mapping of the seabed utilizing a vessel-mounted multibeam sonar that transmits a fan, or swathe, of acoustic energy across the ship track; then resolves multiple depth points across the swathe based upon the slant range and elevation angle of reflected echoes from the seafloor. Lidar is a similar technology to multibeam but using airborne laser bathymetry to swathe map shallow clear waters.
Singlebeam echo sounders have been applied routinely for many years to collect bathymetric or depth data from the world’s oceans. This acoustic technique relies on a vessel-mounted transducer to generate a single acoustic pulse directed toward the seabed underneath the vessel. The echo sounder then calculates a depth measurement based on the travel time for the reflected seafloor echo to return to the receiver and speed of sound through water (Kunzig, 2000). During...
- Blacquiere, G., and van Woerde, K., 1998. Multibeam Echosounding: Beamforming versus Interferometry, Oceanology International 98 – The Global Ocean, 10–13 March 1998. Brighton, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Grigg, R. W., Grossman, E. E., Earle, S. A., Gittings, S. R., Lott, D., and McDonough, J., 2002. Drowned reefs and antecedent karst topography, Au’au Channel, S.E. Hawaiian Islands. Coral Reefs, 21, 73–82, doi: 10.1007/s00338-001-0203-8.Google Scholar
- Guenther, G. C., 2007. Airborne lidar bathymetry. In Maune, D. F. (ed.), Digital Elevation Model Technologies and Applications: The DEM Users Manual, 2nd edn. Bethesda, USA: American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS), pp. 253–320.Google Scholar
- Kunzig, R., 2000. Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science. New York: W.W. Norton, pp. 345.Google Scholar
- Lekkerkerk, H.-J., 2006. Remote Sensing: Underwater. GEOInformatics, March(2): 32–35.Google Scholar
- Wille, P. C., 2005. Sound Images of the Ocean in Research and Monitoring. Berlin, Germany: Springer, p. 471.Google Scholar