Bio-inspired Underwater Robots
Bio-inspired underwater robots are influenced by examples of biological systems, sometimes in a rather loose manner.
modeling and control of continuum and compliant actuators, flow perception, modeling and control of robot interaction in the fluid.
Bio-inspired underwater robots are nature-inspired alternative solutions for established technological concepts in underwater robotics, such as propellers, standard sensors, rigid hull compartments, and construction materials. It may also mean adopting new control methods, locomotion mechanisms, and materials for building the robots.
Conventional underwater vehicle technology has adopted the historical construction elements and methods used in surface vehicles. For example, the first approximation of a simple underwater robot is a water-proofed and submerged ship...
- Calisti M (2017) Soft robotics in underwater legged locomotion: from octopus–inspired solutions to running robots. In: Soft robotics: trends, applications and challenges. Springer International Publishing Cham, pp 31–36. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-46460-2_5Google Scholar
- Kato N, Inaba T (1998) Guidance and control of fish robot with apparatus of pectoral fin motion. In: Robotics and automation, 1998. Proceedings. 1998 IEEE international conference on, vol 1, Leuven. IEEE, pp 446–451. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/677014/
- Katzschmann RK, Marchese AD, Rus D (2016) Hydraulic autonomous soft robotic fish for 3D swimming. In Experimental robotics. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 405–420. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23778-7_27Google Scholar
- Liu J, Dukes I, Hu H (2005) Novel mechatronics design for a robotic fish. In: Intelligent robots and systems, 2005 (IROS 2005). 2005 IEEE/RSJ international conference on. IEEE, pp 807–812Google Scholar
- Salumäe T, Raag R, Rebane J, Ernits A, Toming G, Ratas M, Kruusmaa M (2014) Design principle of a biomimetic underwater robot u-cat. In: Oceans-St. John’s, 2014. IEEE, pp 1–5. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7003126/