The Oxford Dictionary (Oxford dictionary) has several definitions for the verb “handle.” In manufacturing the following is relevant: “Feel or manipulate with the hands.”
The Material Handling Industry of America (MHIA) defines material handling much wider as “the movement, storage, protection and control of materials throughout the manufacturing and distribution process including their consumption and disposal” (MHIA 2016).
Theory and Application
The Concept of Handling in Trade and Industry
All economic activity, whether it is production or trade, involve moving of goods. Moving goods is necessary in all production processes to bring materials from one operation to another in the production process. In trade, a similar need for movement exists to bring goods to the place where one finds the customer willing to pay for the goods.
The handling of any material or products has the only purpose of movement between places for some...
- Groover MP (2008) Automation, production systems, and computer-integrated manufacturing, 3rd edn. Pearson Education, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- Maynard HB, Stegmerten GJ, Schwad JL (1944) Methods: time measurement. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- MHIA – Material Handling Industry of America (2016) Material handling. http://www.mhi.org/fundamentals/material-handling. Accessed 25 Jan 2016
- Oxford dictionary online. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/handle. Accessed 25 Jan 2016
- Riggs JL (1987) Production systems: planning, analysis, and control, 4th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar