Management of Production Enterprises
Within production enterprises the term management is used synonymously to the terms business management or corporate management. The term management can historically be derived from the Latin words manum agere (“lead by using the hands”). Typical management tasks of manufacturing companies are planning, organization, leadership, and controlling of the industrial value creation (Weatherly 2009).
Theory and Application
Due to the high dynamics of today’s economic environment production enterprises have to make quick and reliable decisions including all relevant corporate aspects. However, the enormous amount of information for the decision making is almost impossible to handle. It is therefore necessary to follow a strategy and to logically position an enterprise in the market. This article provides an overview over management processes and methodologies of production enterprises.
The understanding of...
- Freeman RE (1984) Strategic management: a stakeholder approach. Financial Times Prentice Hall, MarshfieldGoogle Scholar
- Hungenberg H, Wulf T (2015) Grundlagen der Unternehmensführung [Fundamentals of corporate governance], 5th edn. Springer, Berlin. (in German)Google Scholar
- Porter ME (1985) Competitive advantage: creating and sustaining superior performance. The Free Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Robbins SP, Coulter M (2004) Management. Prentice Hall India, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Rüegg-Stürm J (2003) Das neue St. Galler management-Modell: Grundkategorien einer integrierten Managementlehre [The new St. Gallen management model: basic categories of an integrated management theory]. Haupt Verlag, Bern. (in German)Google Scholar
- Schuh G, Kampker A (2011) Handbuch Produktion und management 1: Strategie und management produzierender Unternehmen [Manual of production and management 1: strategy and management of manufacturing companies]. Springer, Berlin. (in German)Google Scholar
- Schuh G, Millarg K, Göransson Å (1998) Virtuelle Fabrik: Neue Marktchancen durch dynamische Netzwerke [Virtual factory: dynamic networks as a new market opportunity]. Hanser, MünchenGoogle Scholar
- Weatherly JN (2009) Handbuch systemisches management [Manual of systemic management]. Medizinisch Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin. (in German)Google Scholar