Health-Care System Regulation in Brazil and in Great Britain
This chapter reviews research carried out since the start of the concept of health-care regulation in Brazil and in the United Kingdom and how regulatory practices developed. The study focuses on economic regulation and the assessment of the quality of health-care services provided by the Brazilian private market and the British National Health Service.
Beginning from a historical overview, the advent of regulatory authorities in both systems will be discussed, specially the Supplementary Health National Agency (a Brazilian agency which has the acronym in Portuguese of “ANS”). As to the UK, the research sets out to cover briefly the legal framework supporting the powers and duties of different bodies within the National Health Service (NHS), such as the Department of Health, Public Health England, Care Quality Commission, general practitioners, and foundation trusts as examples within the UK system.
The Health Plan Market in Brazil will be analyzed before and after the introduction of regulation. Solvency and coverage issues, the reduction in the network of providers, abusive readjustments of premiums, and the unilateral annulment of contracts will also be reviewed. This chapter also will present Brazilian intervention methods (inspection regimes) used by the Brazilian regulatory agency for private health plan insurers and companies especially through ready reckoners.
In Great Britain, the law underpinning the current public health-care system will be discussed, with some remarks on the new white paper “Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS (2010),” notably the topics related to economic regulation.
KeywordsNational Health Service Health Plan Medical Insurer National Health Service Trust Prudential Regulation
- 1.Serra C. Health plans in Brazil: market failures, regulation and perspectives. Paper submitted to the Institute of Brazilian Issues for the Minerva Programme. School of Business of The George Washington University [cited 2011 Mar 11]. Available from: http://www.gwu.edu/∼ibi/minerva/Fall2007/Cesar.pdf (2007).
- 2.Marques CL, Schmitt CH, Lopes JRDL, Pfeiffer RAC et al. Saúde e responsabilidade 2: a nova assistência privada à saúde. São Paulo: Editora Revista dos Tribunais; 2008.Google Scholar
- 3.Brasil. Ministério da Saúde. Agência nacional de saúde suplementar. Programa de Qualificação da Saúde Suplementar/Agência Nacional de Saúde Suplementar. – Rio de Janeiro; 2010.Google Scholar
- 4.Ribas BKC. Processo regulatório em saúde suplementar: dinâmica e aperfeiçoamento da regulação para a produção da Saúde. Paper submitted to the Law Department Postgraduate Programme in order to get the Master Degree. Universidade Federal do Estado do Paraná; 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.Baldwin R, Cave M. Understanding regulation: theory, strategy and practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Maybin J, Harrison T. England. The king’s fund. Regulation of health care provision in England: briefing. London. Available from: http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/briefings/regulation_of_health.html (2008).
- 7.Jackson E. Medical law: text, cases and materials. 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- 8.FSA. Who we are [Internet]. Available from: http://www.fsa.gov.uk [cited 2011 Mar 11].
- 9.England. Department of Health. Liberating the NHS: legislative framework and next steps: executive summary. London. Available from: http://dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalasset/dh_123853.pdf (2011).
- 10.England. Department of health. Easyread version of liberating the NHS: legislative framework and next steps – executive summary. London. Available from: http://dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalasset/dh_124709.pdf (2011).
- Aragão ASD. Agências reguladoras e a evolução do direito administrativo econômico. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Forense; 2002.Google Scholar
- Ayres I, Braithwaite J. Responsive regulation. New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2008. 1st published in 1992. England. Health and Social Care Act.Google Scholar
- Bahia L. Padrões e mudanças das relações público-privado: os planos e seguros saúde no Brasil. [Doctorate Thesis]. Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Brasil; 1999.Google Scholar
- Cunha PC. Regulação Jurídica da Saúde Suplementar no Brasil. Rio de Janeiro: Lumen Júris; 2003.Google Scholar
- England. Department of Health Sixty Years of the NHS. London. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_08596 (2008).
- Montgomery J. Health care law. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- Pollock AM, Talbot-Smith A. The new NHS: a guide. London: Routledge; 2006.Google Scholar