Evidence-Based Medicine and the Law
Over the last quarter of a century, evidence-based medicine (EBM) has emerged as the dominant paradigm for the diagnosis and treatment of illness. This expectation has now crossed over into the legal domain. Practitioners who provide clinical services on the basis of belief, intuition, and experience alone are increasingly marginalized and exposed to disciplinary and civil actions for engaging in provision of care that does not have a proper medico-scientific base. This chapter reviews a series of the United Kingdom and Australian disciplinary decisions that have resulted in adverse findings against medical practitioners for such forms of unorthodox and dubious clinical practice.
KeywordsMedical Practitioner Stem Cell Therapy Spinal Manipulation General Medical Council Sodium Chlorite
- 3.Guyatt G. Evidence-based medicine. ASP J Club. 1991;114:A-16.Google Scholar
- 6.Gavgani VZ, Mohan VV. Physicians’ attitude towards evidence-based medical practice and health science library services. Libr Inform Sci Res Electron J. 2008;18(1):1–10.Google Scholar
- 7.General medical council v Meadow  EWCA Civ 1390.Google Scholar
- 8.Freckelton I, Selby H. Expert evidence: law, practice, procedure and advocacy. 5th ed. Sydney: Thomson; 2013 (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.Jones v Kaney  UKSC 13.Google Scholar
- 10.Freckelton I. Erosion of the witness immunity rule. Psychia, Psychol Law. (in press); 20: 2012.Google Scholar
- 12.See e.g. Noone, Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria v Operation Smile (Australian Inc  VSCA 91.Google Scholar
- 13.Re Dr McDonogh. 2010, http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/McDonogh(1).pdf, viewed 2011 Dec 10.
- 14.Re Dr Trossel. 2010, http://www.gmc-uk.org/static/documents/content/Trossel.pdf, viewed 2011 Dec 10.
- 15.Traill v Medical practitioners board  VCAT 1920.Google Scholar
- 16.Harris RP et al. Current methods of the US preventive services task force: a review of the process. Am J Prev Med. 2001 Apr 20;(3 Supplement):21.Google Scholar
- 17.Medical board of Queensland v Tarvydas  QCAT 246.Google Scholar
- 18.Medical board of Australia v O’Sullivan  QCAT 135.Google Scholar