Privacy and Confidentiality: The Doctor’s Obligations
At the heart of the relationship of trust between a medical practitioner and their patient, is the obligation on the part of the practitioner to keep confidential what they learn in the course of providing professional services and to refrain from generating collateral benefit from what they have learned. The long-standing obligation of doctor-patient confidentiality has been significantly modified to allow, and on some occasions to mandate, practitioners to provide information to facilitate patients,’ third parties,’ and the general community’s health and safety. This chapter reviews such obligations and the legal context in which they have been tested.
KeywordsMedical Practitioner Fiduciary Duty Protected Confidence Imminent Risk Defense Counsel
- 1.Maulolo v Hutt Valley Health Corporation. 2002, NZAR 375.Google Scholar
- 2.General Medical Council. Good Medical Practice: http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_medical_practice.asp, viewed 9 September, 2012.
- 3.Gregory J. Lectures on the duties and qualifications of a physician (London, W Strahan & T Cadell 1772), Reprinted In: McCullough LB, editor. John Gregory’s writings on medical ethics and philosophy of medicine. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic; 1997, p. 26–27.Google Scholar
- 4.National Institutes of Health, Hippocratic Oath (trans M North, 2002): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/greek/greek_oath.html, viewed 2 September 2012.
- 5.World Medical Association, Declaration of Geneva: http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/g1/, viewed 9 September 2012.
- 6.McMahon M. Re-thinking confidentiality. In: Freckelton I, Petersen K, editors. Disputes and dilemmas in health Law. Sydney: Federation Press; 2006. p. 563–603.Google Scholar
- 7.Editorial, Railway Signalman: Professional Secrecy, BMJ. 1906. 1753–1754.Google Scholar
- 8.W v Egdell. 1990, 1 All ER 835 at 849.Google Scholar
- 9.British Medical Association, “Confidentiality and Health Records”: http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/confidentiality-tool-kit, viewed 20 August 2012.
- 10.Kampf A, McSherry B, Ogloff J, Rothschild A. Confidentiality for mental health professionals. Brisbane: Australian Academic Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- 11.Breen v Williams. 1996, 186 CLR 71.Google Scholar
- 12.Stevens R. The Medical Record. http://www.mcnz.org.nz/assets/News-and-Publications/Coles/Chapter-11.pdf, viewed 5 September 2012.
- 13.Gaskin v United Kingdom. 1989, 12 EHRR 36.Google Scholar
- 14.McInerney v MacDonald. 1992, 93 DLR (4th) 415.Google Scholar
- 15.Emmett v Eastern Dispensary and Casualty Hospital. 1967, 396 F 2d 931.Google Scholar
- 16.Skloot R. The immortal life of Henrietta lacks. New York: Crown-Random House; 2008.Google Scholar
- 17.Moore v Regents of the University of California. 1990, 51 Cal 3d 120; 271 Cal Rptr 146; 793 P 2d 479.Google Scholar
- 18.Duchess of Kingston Case. 1776, 20 Howell’s State Trials 355; [1775–1802] All ER Rep 623;  1 Leach 146.Google Scholar
- 19.Mendelson D. The Duchess of Kingston’s Case, the Ruling of Lord Mansfield and Duty of Medical Confidentiality in Court. Int J Law and Psychiat. 2012 (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.Elliott v Tippett. 2008, 20 VR 195.Google Scholar
- 22.Stuart v Kirkland-Veenstra. 2009, HCA 15.Google Scholar
- 23.Smith v Jones. 1999, 1 SCR 455.Google Scholar
- 24.Tarasoff v Regents of the University of California. 1976, 17 Cal 3d 425.Google Scholar
- 25.Duncan v Medical Practitioners Disciplinary Committee. 1986, 1 NZLR 513.Google Scholar
- 26.Van de Wetering v Capital Coast Health Ltd. Unreported, High Court of New Zealand, Wellington Registry, 19 May 2000.Google Scholar
- 27.R v Lowe. 1997, 2 VR 465.Google Scholar
- 28.Wheeler v Le Marchant. 1881, 17 Ch D 675.Google Scholar
- 29.Road Safety Act. 1986, (Vic), s56, See eg.Google Scholar
- 30.Health Practitioner Regulation National Law. 2009, (Qld), s140.Google Scholar
- 31.Harvey v PD. 2004, NSWCA 97.Google Scholar
- 32.Cannell v Medical and Surgical Clinic. 1974,315 NE 2d 278.Google Scholar
- 33.Royal Womenns Hospital v Medical practitioners Board of Victoria. 2006, 15 VR 22 at 58.Google Scholar
- 34.Furniss v Fitchett. 1958, NZLR 396.Google Scholar