CIE Method of Assessing Daylight Simulators
Daylight simulator is a “device that provides spectral irradiance approximating that of a CIE standard daylight illuminant or CIE daylight illuminant, for visual appraisal or measurement of colours” .
Development of the CIE Methods of Assessing Daylight Simulators
Although for decades after the acceptance of the CIE system (1931), Illuminant C was accepted and widely used in colorimetry, the practical implementation of Source C was limited to special laboratory use. In 1963, the Colorimetry Committee of the CIE decided to supplement the then existing CIE illuminants A, B, and C by new illuminants more adequately representing phases of natural daylight. These new illuminants (D55, D65, and D75) were defined by a new approach suggested by Judd et al.  based on Simonds’  method of reducing experimental data to characteristic vectors (eigenvectors) and calculating the relative spectral power distribution of daylight of any desired correlated color temperature.
KeywordsSpectral Irradiance Correlate Color Temperature Radiance Factor Spectral Power Distribution Comparison Specimen
- 1.CIE Standard S 012/E: Standard method of assessing the spectral quality of daylight simulators for visual appraisal or measurement of colour (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Wyszecki, G.: Development of new CIE standard sources for colorimetry. Die Farbe 19, 43–76 (1970)Google Scholar
- 7.Richter, K.: Gütebewertung der Strahldichteangleich and die Normlichtart D65. Lichttechnik 24, 370–373 (1972)Google Scholar
- 10.CIE: A method for assessing the quality of daylight simulators for colorimetry, publication no. 51. Central Bureau of the CIE, Vienna (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.CIE: A method for assessing the quality of daylight simulators for colorimetry, publication no. 51.2. Central Bureau of the CIE, Vienna (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.ASTM D1729-96: Standard Practice for Visual Appraisal of Colors and Color Differences of Diffusely-Illuminated Opaque Materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.ASTM E991: Standard Practice for Color Measurement of Fluorescent Specimens Using the One-Monochromator Method. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.CIE: Practical Daylight Sources for Colorimetry, Publication no. 192. Central Bureau of the CIE, Vienna (2010)Google Scholar