Pediatric Nephrology in North America
Pediatric nephrology has existed as a recognized subspecialty of the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) since 1974, coming into official existence after cardiology in 1961 and at the same time as hematology and oncology. In Canada, the clinical practice of pediatric nephrology started in mid 1960s, with the first training programs established in Canada in the late 1960s. To date, the specialty continues to be a joint specialization in pediatrics and nephrology with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Despite its longevity, the number of certified nephrologists has remained small, approximately 750 physicians in the USA and 125 in Canada throughout the 40-year history of the subspecialty. There are approximately 450 active pediatric nephrologists in the USA and less than 70 in Canada, making the specialty quite small in the overall population of pediatric subspecialists which number >21,000. The most recent ratios reported by the ABP note 150,158 US...
KeywordsPeritoneal Dialysis Nephrotic Syndrome Acute Kidney Injury Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
- 1.American Board of Pediatrics. ABP workforce data. 2013–2014. http://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/workforcebook.pdf. Last accessed 21 Oct 2014.
- 2.Primack WA, Meyers KEC, Kirkwood S, Ruch-Ross H, Radabaugh C, Greenbaum LA. The US pediatric nephrology (PN) workforce 2013. Pediatr Acad Soc Abstr. 2014;1518.230.Google Scholar
- 3.Kamil ES, Norwood VF. Challenges in assessing an active pediatric subspecialty workforce. Pediatr Acad Soc Abstr. 2012;3940.434.Google Scholar
- 4.American Society of Pediatric Nephrology. http://www.aspneph.com/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 5.Canadian Association of Pediatric Nephrology. http://www.capneph.ca/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 6.International Pediatric Nephrology Association. http://www.ipna-online.org/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 7.U.S. Renal Data System [USRDS]. Annual data report. 2013. http://www.usrds.org/atlas.aspx. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 13.Canadian Institute for Health Information. www.cihi.ca. Last accessed 29 Oct 2014.
- 14.RIVUR Study. http://www.cscc.unc.edu/rivur/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 16.CKiD Study. http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00327860. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 18.NEPTUNE Study. http://www.neptune-study.org/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 19.Gadegbeku CA, Gipson DS, Holzman LB, Ojo AO, Song PX, Barisoni L, Sampson MG, Kopp JB, Lemley KV, Nelson PJ, Lienczewski CC, Adler SG, Appel GB, Cattran DC, Choi MJ, Contreras G, Dell KM, Fervenza FC, Gibson KL, Greenbaum LA, Hernandez JD, Hewitt SM, Hingorani SR, Hladunewich M, Hogan MC, Hogan SL, Kaskel FJ, Lieske JC, Meyers KE, Nachman PH, Nast CC, Neu AM, Reich HN, Sedor JR, Sethna CB, Trachtman H, Tuttle KR, Zhdanova O, Zilleruelo GE, Kretzler M. Design of the Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network (NEPTUNE) to evaluate primary glomerular nephropathy by a multidisciplinary approach. Kidney Int. 2013;83(4):749–56.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Center of Excellence in Pediatric Nephrology – University of Virginia. http://research.med.virginia.edu/pcen/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 21.Center of Excellence in Pediatric Nephrology – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/research/divisions/n/nephrology/center-of-excellence/mission/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 22.Neu AM, Miller MR, Stuart J, Lawlor J, Richardson T, Martz K, Rosenberg C, Newland J, McAfee N, Begin B, Warady BA, The SCOPE Collaborative Participants. Design of the standardizing care to improve outcomes in pediatric end stage renal disease collaborative. Pediatr Nephrol. 2014;29:1477–84.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.CANN-NET. http://www.cann-net.ca/committees/pediatrics-committee. Last accessed 28 Oct 2014.
- 24.http://www.cann-net.ca/current-projects/current-kt-projects#CHILDNEPH. Last accessed 28 Oct 2014.
- 25.KRESCENT. http://www.krescent.ca/page.aspx?pid=700. Last accessed 28 Oct 2014.
- 26.KRESCENT, Current Trials. http://www.krescent.ca/page.aspx?pid=606. Last accessed 28 Oct 2014.
- 27.Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/canmeds/canmeds2015. Last accessed 28 Oct 2014.
- 28.Miami Pediatric Nephrology Seminar. http://pediatrics.med.miami.edu/nephrology/seminar. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 29.Annual Dialysis Conference. http://medicine.missouri.edu/dialysis/. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.
- 30.Renal Research Institute. http://www.renalresearch.com/RRI/index.htm. Last accessed 20 Oct 2014.