Biodiversity designates the condition of life on Earth in terms of its variation at all levels of biological organization, from genes to ecosystems. By extension, it is used to designate life on Earth itself, most generally at the species level but often also at all organization levels altogether. The political impact of the term led to a definition adopted by the International Convention on Biological Diversity (Art.2): “Biological diversity’ means the variability among living organisms from all sources including, inter alia, terrestrial, marine and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part; this includes diversity within species, between species and of ecosystems” (Convention on Biological Diversity 1992).
Although first introduced in the end of the 1960s, the word biodiversity, as a contraction of biological diversity, has been coined by Walter G. Rosen while preparing a national US scientific forum...
KeywordsEcology Ecosystem services Environment Evolution Systematics Taxonomy
References and Further Reading
- Convention on Biological Diversity (1992) N°30619. United Nations, treaty series, 1760, 1993. pp 142–308Google Scholar
- Consortium Barcode of Life (2010) http://www.barcodinglife.org/
- Diversitas (2002) Diversitas science plan. Diversitas, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Diversitas (2010) An international programme of biodiversity science. http://www.diversitas-international.org
- Erwin TL (1982) Tropical forests: their richness in Coleoptera and other arthropod species, 3Coleopterists’. Bulletin 36:74–75Google Scholar
- GBIF (2010) Global Biodiversity Information Facility. http://www.gbif.org.
- Golding GB, Hanner R, Hebert P (eds) (2009) Special issue on barcoding. Mol Ecol Resour 9(supplement) 1:1–267Google Scholar
- Hennig W (1966) Phylogenetic systematics. University of Illinois Press, UrbanaGoogle Scholar
- IPBES (2010) Intergovernmental science-policy platform for biodiversity and ecosystem services. http://IPBES.net
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) http://www.maweb.org
- Wilson EO (ed) (1988) Biodiversity. National Academy Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar