Multiresolution Analysis of Hydrology and Satellite Gravitational Data
We present a multiresolution analysis of temporal and spatial variations of the Earth’s gravitational potential by the use of tensor product wavelets which are built up by Legendre and spherical wavelets for the time and space domain, respectively. The multiresolution is performed for satellite and hydrological data, and based on these results we compute correlation coefficients between both data sets, which help us to develop a filter for the extraction of an improved hydrology model from the satellite data.
KeywordsSpherical Harmonic Scaling Function Space Domain Multiresolution Analysis Spherical Harmonic Coefficient
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support by the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and German Research Foundation (DFG) within the R&D-Programme Geotechnologies Special Programme “Observation System Earth from Space”, 03F0424D, (publication number GEOTECH-317). We are also much obliged to GFZ Potsdam for providing us with all GRACE and WGHM data.
- Beth S, Viell M (1998) Uni- und multivariate Legendre-Wavelets und ihre Anwendung zur Bestimmung des Brechungsindexgradienten. In: Freeden W (ed) Progress in geodetic science at GW 98, Shaker, pp 25–33Google Scholar
- Freeden W, Schreiner M (2009) Spherical functions of mathematical geosciences. A scalar, vectorial, and tensorial setup. Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Freeden W, Nutz H, Wolf K (2010) Time-space multiscale analysis and its application to GRACE and hydrology data. In: Flechtner FM, Gruber Th, Güntner A, Mandea M, Rothacher M, Schöne T, Wickert J (eds) System earth via geodetic-geophysical space techniques. Springer, Berlin/London, pp 387–397CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maier T (2003) Multiscale geomagnetic field modelling from satellite data: theoretical aspects and numerical applications. PhD thesis, Geomathematics Group, University of KaiserslauternGoogle Scholar
- Swenson S, Wahr J (2006) Post-processing removal of correlated errors in GRACE data. Geophys Res Lett 33:L08402. doi:10.1029/2005GL025285Google Scholar
- Tapley BD, Reigber C (2001) The GRACE mission: status and future plans. EOS Trans AGU 82(47):Fall Meet Suppl G41, C-02Google Scholar