Reporter Genes in Parasites
Current Status of Parasitic Infections
Parasitic diseases such as malaria, leishmaniasis, trypanosomiasis, filariasis, and different helminthes infections have remained as serious health problems in different regions of the world. Developing and least developed countries of Asia, Africa, and South American regions are most vulnerable with significant morbidity and mortality. According to recent reports, malaria caused by protozoan parasite Plasmodium spp. affects more than 225 million people with 3 billion people at risk of infection and approximately 700 thousand deaths annually (WHO 2012; Lynch et al. 2012). Plasmodium falciparum is the most common causative agent (WHO-TDR 2013). Similarly, leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania spp. (L. donovani, L. major, L. mexicana, and L. braziliensis) is endemic in 98 countries of five continents with 350 million people at risk of infection and estimated 0.2–0.4 million new cases of VL and 0.7–1.2 million new cases of CL occurring annually. Over...
KeywordsGreen Fluorescent Protein Reporter Gene Enhance Green Fluorescent Protein Drug Screening Yellow Fluorescent Protein
- Adjalley SH, Johnston GL, Li T, Eastman RT, Ekland EH, Eappen AG, Richman A, Sim BK, Lee MC, Hoffman SL, Fidock DA (2011) Quantitative assessment of Plasmodium falciparum sexual development reveals potent transmission-blocking activity by methylene blue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:E1214–E1223CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kadekoppala M, Kline K, Akompong T, Haldar K (2000) Stable expression of a new chimeric fluorescent reporter in the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Infect Immun 68:2328–2332Google Scholar
- Thalhofer CJ, Graff JW, Love-Homan L, Hickerson SM, Craft N, Beverley SM, Wilson ME (2010) In vivo imaging of transgenic Leishmania parasites in a live host. JoVE 41. doi:10.3791/1980. http://www.jove.com/index/Details.stp?ID=1980.
- WHO (2012) World malaria report 2012. World Health Organization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- WHO-TDR (2013) http://www.who.int/tdr/. Accessed 28 Mar 2014