The set of hardware, software, procedures, and activities that are integrated in the manufacturing system in order to provide measurements of dimensional characteristics of manufactured products and tools during the manufacturing process.
Theory and Application
In general, the main goal of inspection is to ensure the functionality of workpieces, products, and testing devices and thus ensuring economical aspects. Inspection allows the measurements of dimensional characteristics of components and the comparison of the results of those measurements with the product specifications (ISO 2011a). Metrology (ISO 1994) is employed as the inspection process for experimentally obtaining information about the magnitude of a quantity. Such information gained from measurements will provide specific knowledge on actual parameters of the inspected manufacturing system and product.
In particular, whenever an inspection system is an integral part of the manufacturing system (including its...
- ISO 10360–5 (2010) Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Acceptance and reverification tests for Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM) – Part 5 CMMs using single and multiple stylus contacting probing systemsGoogle Scholar
- ISO 10360–7 (2011a) Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Acceptance and reverification tests for Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM) – Part 7 CMMs equipped with imaging probing systemsGoogle Scholar
- ISO 8015 (2011b) Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS) – Fundamentals – Concepts, principles and rulesGoogle Scholar
- ISO/DIN (ed) (1994) International vocabulary of basic and general terms in metrology (VIM), 2nd edn. International Organization of Standardization (ISO), GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Neumann F, Holtermann T, Schneider D, Kulczycki A, Gries T, Aach T (2011) In-process fault detection for textile fabric production: onloom imaging. Proc SPIE 8082(Optical measurement systems for industrial inspection VII):808240. doi:10.1117/12.889345Google Scholar
- Schmitt R, Pavim A (2009) Flexible optical metrology strategies for the control and quality assurance of small series production. Proc SPIE 7389(Optical measurement systems for industrial inspection VI):738902. doi:10.1117/12.827589Google Scholar
- Schmitt R, Mallmann G, Peterka P (2011) Development of a FD-OCT for the inline process metrology in laser structuring systems. Proc SPIE 8082(Optical measurement systems for industrial inspection VII):808228. doi:10.1117/12.889365Google Scholar