Measured quantity value minus a reference quantity value
- NOTE 1
The concept of “measurement error” can be used both:
When there is a single reference quantity value to refer to, which occurs if a calibration is made by means of a measurement standard with a measured quantity value having a negligible measurement uncertainty or if a conventional quantity value is given, in which case the measurement error is known.
If a measurand is supposed to be represented by a unique true quantity value or a set of true quantity values of negligible range, in which case the measurement error is not known.
- NOTE 2
Measurement error should not be confused with production error or mistake.
(ISO Guide 99 2007, Definition 2.16)
Theory and Application
Let us start discussing the term “error” with the well-accepted definition of (ISO 99 2007), the International Vocabulary of Metrology (VIM), see definition.
- ISO 230-1 (2012) Test code for machine tools - part 1: geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or finishing conditions. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO 5725 (1994-2005) Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results, part 1-6. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO 10360-2 (2009) Geometrical product specifications (GPS): acceptance and reverification tests for coordinate measuring machines (CMM) - Part 2: CMMs used for measuring linear dimensions. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO 14253-1 (1998) Geometrical product specifications (GPS): inspection by measurement of workpieces and measuring equipment - Part 1: decision rules for proving conformance or non-conformance with specifications. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO/IEC Guide 98-1 (2009) Uncertainty of measurement - Part 1: introduction to the expression of uncertainty in measurement. ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO/IEC Guide 99 (2007) International vocabulary of metrology: basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM). ISO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Ruhm, KH (2005a) Error bounds. Internet portal “Measurement Science and Technology”. Retrieved from www.mmm.ethz.ch/dok01/d0000549.pdf
- Ruhm, KH (2005b) Properties of the measurement error. Internet portal “Measurement Science and Technology”. Retrieved from www.mmm.ethz.ch/dok01/d0000551.pdf
- Ruhm, KH (2011) Nonideal measurement process. Internet portal “Measurement Science and Technology”. Retrieved from www.mmm.ethz.ch/dok01/d0000535.pdf