Forming process characterized by a gradual forming of the sheet, which is restricted to a small plastic zone. Nonsymmetric shapes can also be obtained by using a simply hemispheric tool in combination with a robot or a conventional CNC milling machine.
Theory and Application
Incremental sheet forming (ISF) is a forming process similar to shear forming that allows a flexible, cost-efficient, and timely implementation of a CAD model to a real part. It was developed to meet the market demands of an efficient production of small batches, customized parts, or prototypes.
While the first attempts for manufacturing parts with a similar method are already mentioned in the patent of Leszak (Leszak 1967), the scientific investigations followed first in the 1990s by Kitazawa (Kitazawa and Nakajima 1999), thus benefiting the introduction of CAD and CAM systems and the automation with CNC machines.
Process Description and Variants
- Akyama S, Amino H, Lu Y, Matsubara S (2000) Apparatus for dieless forming plate materials, Europäisches Patent EP 0970764Google Scholar
- Draser C (2006) Vorrichtung und Verfahren zur inkrementellen Blechumformung [Devices and methods for incremental forming of sheet metal], DE 102006002146A1 19.07.2007, http://www.patent-de.com/20070719/DE102006002146A1.html (Accessed 29 Apr 2013) (in German)
- Junk S (2003) Inkrementelle Blechumformung mit CNC-Werkzeugmaschinen: Verfahrensgrenzen und Umformstrategien [Incremental Forming of Sheet Metal Using Machine Tools. Technological Limitations and Forming Strategies], Dr.-Ing. Dissertation, Universität des Saarlandes, Schriftenreihe Productionstechnik [Publication Series on Manufacturing Technology] Bd. 25 (in German)Google Scholar
- Kitazawa K, Nakajima A (1999) Cylindrical incremental drawing of sheet metals by CNC forming process. Adv Technol Plast 2:1495–1500Google Scholar
- Leszak E (1967) Apparatus and process for incremental dieless forming, US Patent 3342051AGoogle Scholar
- Matsubara S (1993) Method and device for forming metal plate, JP 07–132329, Filed 11 Nov 1993, Issued 23 May 1995Google Scholar
- Zhang J (2008) Roboterbasiertes inkrementelles Blechumformen [Robot-based Incremental forming of sheet metal], LPS der Ruhr Universität Bochum, Dr.-Ing. Dissertation (in German)Google Scholar