Discovered 1914 June 29 by G. N. Neujmin at Simeis.
Named for the ruined city in the Erivan district which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1319. Ani is situated 30 miles southeast of Kars, northeast Turkey, near the border to Armenia. Ani had so many churches that Sir John Mandeville (?–1372) called it ‘the city of 1001 churches’. (H 79; R. Bremer)