1950 DO. Discovered 1950 Feb. 17 by K. Reinmuth at Heidelberg.
Named in memory of Claus Baader (1824–1995), German manufacturer of planetaria, domes and telescopes, and well-known mentor of amateur astronomers in the German-speaking countries. A design engineer by profession and self-taught in astronomy, Baader constructed a new type of a small desktop planetarium that is in use in schools in many countries throughout the world. In his later years Baader, together with his son and successor Thomas, was deeply concerned with the construction and development of observatory domes, astronomical telescopes and their auxiliary instrumentation for amateur and professional astronomers alike. (M 25977)
Name proposed and citation prepared by L.D.Schmadel.
Obituaries published in Sterne Weltraum, Jahrg. 35, Nr. 2, p. 152–153 (1996); Mitt Astron. Ges., Nr. 80, p. 5–7 (1997).