Advertisement

(140) Siwa

Reference work entry

Discovered 1874 Oct. 13 by J. Palisa at Pola.

Named for the Slavic goddess of fertility. This naming refers to the numerous Illyric population of Istria. Pola is situated at the southern coast of this peninsula. (A. Schnell)

Named by Marine-Commandant Vice-Admiral Frei-herr F. von Pöck. The planet is erroneously published as (139) in AN 85, 108 (1875). The meaning of the name is published in the Wiener ‘Kalender für alle Stände’ for 1876, p. 20.

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2003

Personalised recommendations