Longevity activism refers to public activities and advocacy directed toward the promotion of healthy longevity of the population, via advancement of biomedical science, promoting education and public health and science policy toward that purpose.
There is now an emerging international social advocacy movement dedicated to promotion of biomedical research and development to alleviate aging-related morbidity, extend healthy period of life, and improve healthy longevity for the elderly population. It is commonly referred to by the activists as the “longevity movement” or “longevity research and advocacy movement,” as well as “healthy life extension movement.” It is a “hybrid” between the aged rights advocacy, patient advocacy, and science advocacy, as it emphasizes the need to implement preventive medicine to improve health care for the elderly around the world via enhanced medical scientific research with a special focus on the mechanisms...
- Bannister C, Holden SE, Jenkins-Jones S et al (2014) Can people with type 2 diabetes live longer than those without? A comparison of mortality in people initiated with metformin or sulphonylurea monotherapy and matched, non-diabetic controls. Diabetes Obes Metab 16:1165–1173. https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.12354CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- de Grey AD, Ames BN, Andersen JK et al (2001) Time to talk SENS: critiquing the immutability of human aging. Ann N Y Acad Sci 959:452–462. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2002.tb02115.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Longevity for All (2018) Longevity day and longevity month. http://www.longevityforall.org/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019
- Olshansky SJ, Perry D, Miller RA, Butler RN (2006) In pursuit of the longevity dividend: what should we be doing to prepare for the unprecedented aging of humanity? Scientist 20(3):28–36Google Scholar
- Stambler I (2017b) Longevity promotion: multidisciplinary perspectives. Longevity history, Rishon Lezion. http://www.longevityhistory.com/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019
- Vetek (Seniority) – the Movement for Longevity and Quality of Life (2019). http://www.longevityisrael.org/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019
- World Health Organization (2015) Global strategy and action plan on ageing and health (GSAP) – 2016–2020. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/ageing/global-strategy/en/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019
- World Health Organization (2018) Thirteenth general programme of work, 2019–2023. World Health Organization, Geneva. https://www.who.int/about/what-we-do/gpw-thirteen-consultation/en/. Accessed 15 Feb 2019Google Scholar