Adult Protective Services
- 164 Downloads
Adult Protective Services (APS) is a social services program aimed at promoting safety, independence, and quality of life for vulnerable adults who are in danger or victims of abuse, neglect (by self or others), or exploitation (ANE).
APS originated in mid-twentieth-century America out of concern among community leaders in urban centers for the growing number of older people living alone, without nearby family support, often mentally compromised, and potentially subjected to harm without assistance. The program rapidly spread across the country due to impetus and funding from Title XX of the Social Security Act, now part of the Social Service Block Grant (Mixson 2010). Today, APS is the only program dedicated to addressing the mistreatment of vulnerable adults nationwide.
APS has four core functions: it receives and investigates ANE reports or referrals; assesses client status and service needs; arranges and coordinates or provides services to prevent or treat...
- Acker D, Aurelien G, Beatrice M et al (2018) NAMRS FFY2016 report 2: key indicators. Administration for Community Living. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Blenkner M, Bloom M, Nielson M et al (1974) Final report: protective services for older people: findings from the Benjamin Rose Institute study. The Benjamin Rose Institute, ClevelandGoogle Scholar
- Elder Justice Innovation Grants (2018). https://acl.gov/programs/elder-justice/elder-justice-innovation-grants-0. Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- Final Voluntary Consensus Guidelines for State APS Systems (2016). https://acl.gov/sites/default/files/programs/2017-03/APS-Guidelines-Document-2017.pdf. Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- Horowitz G, Estes C (1971) Protective services for the aged. US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Administration on Aging, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- National Adult Maltreatment Reporting System (2018). https://www.acl.gov/programs/elder-justice/national-adult-maltreatment-reporting-system-namrs. Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- National Adult Protective Services Association APS Example Flow Chart (2016). https://ncea.acl.gov/resources/docs/archive/APS-FlowChart.pdf. Accessed 29 Jan 2019
- State Grants to Enhance Adult Protective Services (2018). https://acl.gov/programs/elder-justice/state-grants-enhance-adult-protective-services. Accessed 29 Jan 2019