Bus (motor coach) security is comprised of the procedures and activities to protect equipment, facilities, employees, and patrons of bus companies from harm; it includes efforts to prevent, mitigate, respond to, and recover from incidents that may occur on vehicles, at terminals and waiting areas, or others areas for which bus companies are responsible.
Assessing security needs and responses of bus systems is challenged by the large number and types of bus systems operating in North America. Security for buses has received less attention than for other transit modes (such as air or rail travel). With few exceptions, bus security is less focused on violent and terrorist-related crimes than on public order offenses in stations, waiting rooms, and on vehicles, and with crimes against the transit system itself such as vandalism, theft of fares, assaults on bus operators, and sometimes vehicle hijackings (Bus Safety Data Report 2018). Also, because bus systems are...
KeywordsCrime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) Closed circuit video surveillance (CCTV) Operator assaults
- Baugh, J. W. (1979). Why have they taken our children? Chowchilla, July 15, 1976. New York: Dell Publishing.Google Scholar
- Burtwistle, L. (2017, June 21). Congress should fully fund the intercity bus security grant program. The Hill. https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/33870. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Bus Driver Faces Kidnapping Charges, Psychiatric Evaluation. (2015, January 13, updated). Fox News. https://www.foxnews.com/story/bus-driver-faces-kidnapping-charges-psychiatric-evaluation. Accessed 19 March 2019.
- Bus Drivers under Attack. (n.d.). Silver Spring: Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU).Google Scholar
- Bus Hijacker Kills 2 at JFK before Being Arrested in 1977. (2017, July 5). New York Daily News.Google Scholar
- Bus Safety Data Report 2008–2016 (2018, November). Washington, DC: Department of Transportation.Google Scholar
- Butterworth, B. R., Dolev, S., & Jenkins, B. M. (2012). Security awareness for public bus transportation: Case studies of attacks against the Israeli Public Bus System. San Jose: Mineta Transportation Institute.Google Scholar
- Chowchilla School Bus Kidnap Victims File Lawsuit 40 Years After Abduction. (2016, March 25). https://abc30.com/new/chowchilla-school-bus-kidnap-victims-file-lawsuit-1262680. Accessed 19 Mar 2019.
- Court Orders Psychiatric Evaluation for Bus Driver Charged in Kidnapping. (2002, January 26). The New York Times.Google Scholar
- CUPE Fact Sheet. (2017, July 12) Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE). https://supe.ca/fact-sheet-public-transit-privitazation-and-canda-infrastructure-bank. Accessed 30 Dec 2018.
- Darrah, N. (2018, November 7). California Man Charged with Attempted Kidnapping after Hopping on Bus Full of Schoolchildren. FoxNews. https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-man-charged-with-attempted-kidnapping-after-hopping-on-bus-full-of-schoolchildren. Accessed 22 Mar 2019.
- Driver hailed as hero after city bus attack. (2015, March 23). http://www.kitv.com/news/driver-hailed-as-hero-after-city-bus-attack/31977428. Accessed 30 Dec 2018.
- Fact Book. (2017, February). Washington, DC: American Public Transportation Association.Google Scholar
- Fox6news. (2018, January 13). https://fox6news.com/2018/01/13/man-on-greyhound-bus-threatened-to-kill-was-in-US-illeg.... Accessed 31 Jan 2019.
- Hayoun, M. (2018, October 24). Immigrant Rights Groups Are at Odds with Greyhound over its Right to Forbid Immigrant Enforcement from Entering Buses, Pacific Standard. https://psmag.com/social-justice/immigrant-rights-groups-are-at-odds-with-greyound-ov… . Accessed 27 Oct 2018.
- House of Horrors: Kidnapped. (Buried Alive TV episode) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4527418). Accessed 25 Mar 2019.
- Huynh, C. & G. Lesnick. (2013, October 17). School bus carjacked in jacksonville; Children safe. https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/oct/17/school-bus-carjacked-jacksonville-chil…. Accessed 19 Mar 2019.
- Larwin, T. F., & Koprowski, Y. (2012). Off-board fare payment using proof-of-payment verification. Washington, DC: Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP) Synthesis 96.Google Scholar
- Lindsey, R. (1976, July 17). 26 Children found safe after Being kidnapped from bus in California. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- Metro to Raise Security on Buses. (2015, March 26). http://egpnews.com/2015/03/metro-to-raise-security-on-buses. Accessed 30 Dec 2018.
- Miller, E. (2016). Terrorist attacks targeting critical infrastructure in the United States, 1970–2015. College Park: START.Google Scholar
- Off the Rails: The Darius McCollum Story. (2016, April 7). Adam Irving, Director.Google Scholar
- Permino, J. (2012, December 6). Picture this – Safer buses, MTA’s Camera Campaign. The New York Post.Google Scholar
- Road Transport, Government of Canada. (n.d.). https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/anre-menu-2021.htm. Accessed 7 Jan 2019.
- Rockwell, M. (2012, June 29). El Salvadoran man gets more than 19 Years in Prison for Bus Hijack in North Carolina. Government Security News. http://www.gsnmagazine.com/article/26665. Accessed 2 July 2012.
- Stern, R. (1997). Bus transit fare collection practices. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- They’ve Taken Our Children. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105576. Accessed 25 Mar 2019.
- Tools and Strategies for Eliminating Assaults Against Transit Operators. Volume 1: Research Overview. (2018). Washington, DC: Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP) Synthesis 193.Google Scholar
- U.S. v. Drayton, 122 U.S. 2105 (2002).Google Scholar
- Walsh, M. (2003). The Bus Industry in the United States. R. Whaples, Ed., EH.Net Encyclopedia. http://eh.net.encyclopedia/the-bus-indistry-in-the-unted-states. Accessed 7 Jan 2019.
- Weiser, B. & Palmer, E.. (2018, November 6). Akayed Ullah Guilty of ISIS-Inspired Bombing. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- Bus and Coach Security Recommended Best Practice. (2018, July, 3rd ed). London: Department of Transport.Google Scholar
- FTA Bus Safety Program. https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-andguidance/safety/bus-safety-program. Accessed 15 Dec 2018.
- Hambridge, N. B, Howitt, A.M., & Giles, D.W.. (2017, April). Coordination in Crises: Implementation of the National Incident Management System by Surface Transportation Agencies. Homeland Security Affairs 13, Article 2.Google Scholar