Border security is the step that nations take to prevent people or items from entering and departing into their country that may pose a threat or other adverse consequences or otherwise violate that nation’s laws.
One could argue that borders have been around since humans first began to settle in fixed locations, claiming that location as their own. As humans moved from hunter-gathers to agrarian society, they began to mark land over which they believe to have exclusivity over its use. These lines of ownership or borders could exist only in one’s mind, meaning that this is what this person or group of people believed to be theirs, accepted by others outside their borders, based on physical features of the earth, or barrier such as primitive fences or walls to mark their land. Today, borders most commonly thought of as the divide between political entities, usually between countries. Just like in early times, these borders could be imaginary, existing only in the...
KeywordsBorders Security Transnational Threats Smuggling Trafficking Migration Counter-terrorism Travel documents Passport Control Baggage Control Ports of Entry
- Cozine, K. (2010). Transgovernmental networks as a tool to combat terrorism: How ICE attachés operate overseas to combat terrorist travel. Doctoral dissertation, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey-Newark.Google Scholar
- Custom and Border Protection. (2016). On a typical day, About CBP. Retrieved from https://www.cbp.gov/about
- Direction Générale des Douanes et Droits Indirects. (2015). La direction nationale du renseignement et des enquêtes douanières. Retrieved from http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/a12574-la-direction-nationale-du-renseignement-et-des-enquetes-douanieres
- European Union. (2009). The Schengen area and cooperation. European Union. Retrieved from http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/l33020_en.htm
- House Homeland Security Committee. (2016, June). The ISIS terror threat in America. Terror Threat Snapshot. Retrieved from https://homeland.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Terror-Threat-Snapshot-June.pdf
- Karimi, F., Almasy, S., & Tuysuz, G. (2016 July 1). ISIS leadership involved in Istanbul attack planning, Turkish source says. CNN. Retrieved from http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/30/europe/turkey-istanbul-ataturk-airport-attack/
- Kremer, W. (2013, February 19) How much bigger can container ships get? BBC News. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21432226
- Phelps, J., Dailey, J., & Koenigsberg, M. (2014). Border security. Durham: Carolina Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Rees, W. (2006). Transatlantic-counterterrorism cooperation: The new imperative. London: Routledge.Google Scholar